Friday, June 20, 2008

New York added to list.

Yellow cab and a cop in the Bronx
This sign is eveywhere you want to be.Throgs Neck Bridge to Long IslandFirst impressions after crossing George Washington Bridge
For some unholy reason, god knows why but not for one second did I think I would have to go into New York.
Beep went the satellite, sh*t went me........... Load from Long Island NY.
I needed to find a truckwash, the customer and I hadn't planned any of it.
Nobody nearby knew of a truckwash but thankfully I managed to borrow a weak internet connection from a nearby hotel and found one 2 miles from the customer so that was that sorted. Next was how to get onto Long Island, I didnt know which bridges/tunnels trucks could use or how much they cost but I remembered lads talking about the George Washington bridge so after tapping the address into the (Not so much use in NY) satnav I set off.
Queued to get onto the bridge, trucks use the upper level and duly paid $40 for the pleasure. The traffic stopped while crossing and I was shocked at how much the bridge bounces and sways.
The going was really slow and guess what ? There is not too much to see other than signs pointing you in the direction of places that previously belonged in movies.
Things sped up and before too long I was heading for Throgs Neck Bridge still unsure if trucks could cross it onto Long Island. All was ok and $27 paid I was rolling on. TomTom found the truckwash ($60} and the customer and I was starting to feel a little more confident about the whole thing.
Loaded up and headed off back the way I had just came when traffic stopped. There had been a major wreck on the Long Island expressway and this cost me a good few hours.
Then it all went a bit wrong !!
TomTom totally lost its sense of direction and was trying to send me through low bridges and other limited roads and before I knew it I was heading straight into the heart of the Bronx. I planned my route out with the map but evey turn had some sort of restriction...deeper into the bronx.
In the end I was so stressed I just thought screw it and planned on just staying on that road until I hit a major highway I could use regardless of where it took me. Fortunately this happened sooner rather than later and I was heading north on the I-87. You have no idea how relieved I was.
From there its pretty much the same road into Canada and I dropped the 10 pallets of brake shoes I was loaded with in Cornwall Ontario and the ran empty to Mississauga where I dropped the empty trailer.
As much as I was stressed and initially a bit wary of New York now I have a rough idea of "how it works" I will have no problem going back.
Speak soon.

2 comments:

Trkrjim said...

I have never used a satnav before, i'm sure I don't want to now. How did you get to Cornwall? did you go through Lake Placid, Malone or back through Utica area? I always liked Massena,NY and that area. You can see some big ships going through the locks there too.

Montedarlo said...

Hi Jim. I have the cheapest Satnav you can buy, the more expensive ones have the option of routing for a 53' trailer and one of them will be my next purchase when this one gives up working.
I ran straight up the I-87, passed the signs for Lake Placid and the olympic training camp and then shot off to Malone then up the 37 into Cornwall.
The weather was pretty miserable, I can imagine it being really nice with a blue sky along the route.