Thursday, June 5, 2008

Heading back north

Las Vegas Strip last night
The reason for my "out of service"
Virgin River Valley GorgeThe snow in Utah, this is actually a colour picture


Believe it I drove past Las Vegas and parked on the Nevada/California stateline.
The following morning I drove to the delivery in San Diego and was empty within the hour which was cool.
I had two collections, one from the docks in San Diego and the other was at Port Hueneme which is just above Los Angeles.
Fully loaded at 12.30 on Wednesday morning I set off north.
Over the last few days the Department of Transport has been doing a blitz all over North America, they are inspecting trucks,the documents and everything else that goes with it. I was pulled over yesterday morning in California and told to go into the inspection bay. All was going well until the inspector spent about 15mins under the trailer and found an airpipe had been rubbing on a sheath that is there to protect it. That was it, I was put "out of service" and was told the truck could not be moved until the fault had been repaired. A few phone calls later a mechanic arrived who was actually doing repairs to the truck in front of me and fixed the airline in less than 5mins. The repairs were re-inspected and I was given a clean bill of health. I personally believe that the "out of service" was harsh and an order to have the line fixed when back at base would have been more appropriate,still, it is the braking system and the inspectors were only doing their job.
Stopped in Las Vegas last night with Mark who is over here from Scarborough and who has followed my blog for a while. We spent a few hours wandering around,had some food and called it a night. It was good to meet you Mark.
The weather has been up to its usual tricks,hot,sticky and hazy in California, sand storms coming up through Nevada and last night in Utah a good couple of inches of snow fell. Unbelievable, its bloody June !!
So, I am on my way to Calgary,tomorrow is day 29 of rolling over my hours and so far I have covered 19340km (12087miles). My average daily mileage is still 431 per day.
Well, thats about it for now. Cheers

2 comments:

Trkrjim said...

sometimes they inspect trucks at other places than at the scales, and if you get an out of service from them, and then they leave. After you get it fixed and go on your way, you have 7 days I think, to report to an open scale and have it reinspected. They will not accept a signature from a mechanic lilke every other state. which scale got you?

Montedarlo said...

Hi Jim, it was the scale between Thousand oaks and Oxnard on H-101 in California.Like I said I personally think he was being petty but its his decision.
Cheers,Phil