Friday, March 20, 2009

Lumpers...necessity or a con ?

Hi all, I have mentioned Lumpers a few times but dont think I have really explained them so thanks Tom for asking the question on the comments page.

Many of the companies we deliver to...especially the USA require that you pay a fee to be offloaded. This fee varies but can be as much as $250+ dependent on how the product is loaded and stacked.

The money is paid to the Lumper services who from what I can gather are not employed by the company (say Walmart) but are allowed onto the property for the purpose of offloading trucks. I suppose its like Tesco (supermarket chain) in the UK taking on agency drivers, the agency looks after your wages..holidays and sick pay, all you do is turn up and drive Tesco trucks.

I also did hear a rumour that in the USA a truck driver cannot unload himself as its taking a job that somebody else could be employed to do. I am sure I will be corrected on this.

There are advantages to Lumpers in that they do all the work, you simply open your doors and back onto a dock, they will offload the truck and break down any pallets.
H$R will pay the driver to do this but the rate of pay nowhere near matches the rate being paid to the Lumper so its not worth getting your hands dirty and instead I watch a movie or play on the Xbox.

My major gripe with Lumpers is that they are being paid an extortionate rate and therefore should have you in and out as soon as possible, this is not always the case and its frustrating to have to wait 3-4hrs and pay $100's for a job you could have done yourself in an hour.

Any fees are paid by H&R usually by EFS cheque (will do a post on EFS soon)

So there you go, necessity or con ? I believe its a bit of both however I would like a better service for the money paid.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

We waited 7 hrs as the lumpers buggered about unloading us in Tracy.
It seems to be a throwback to the Mafia/union controlled workers of a few decades ago.

Anonymous said...

Nice pictures Phil, like the reefer rear shot, and I bet you couldn't get the mountain statue shot with your old camera lol.

Montedarlo said...

Hi Mick, 7hrs and you have to pay...doesnt make sense does it ?

I would bet good money that the old camera would of beaten the new one for the shot of the statue. I was forcing myself to use the new one. If the old one packs in I will probably buy another as its reliable, easy to use and it fits in your pocket.

See you for a drink soon !!

Dave Caldwell said...

Did someone mention a drink, ok where and when lol.
Lumpers are a rip off but then never having used them its easy for meto say that but at the cost you quote that amounts to extortion.

Montedarlo said...

Too late for a drink Dave...its all over. Need to be at work tomorrow so having an early night. Had a good chat with Mick and Cath so enjoyed the night.
From what I can gather the Lumper rates in New York are higher.
Its a rip off but then again its a North American tradition and I am sure you know how they dislike change !!

Cheers,Phil

Trkrjim said...

It is a sham but you only know half the story, let me explain. As recently as a few years ago lumpers were mostly scumbag degenerate types who hung around outside of these major warehouses looking for work. It was possible to negotiate with them and reign in the costs a bit. Then the powers that be saw a profit to be made and only allowed authorized lumpers, AKA the in house service. Some are now going further and like Wal-Mart actually charge you for their people to unload their order out of your truck. Don't want to pay? Do it yourself you say? They will not let you use the power equipment to get the pallets of the truck and if you can't get it done in 2 hours they will charge you and/or kick you out to make another appointment. Wal-Mart is one of the better ones, at least you know it's $50 and will be done in under 2 hours.

Trkrjim said...

I have heard that Canadian drivers unloading their own trucks in the U.S. are violating immigration laws since they don't have a legal right to work in the U.S. other than to drive. It sort of makes sense if you look at it from the perspective of they would be paid for it by their companies. And it does take place in the U.S. so it is in effect taking work away from the illegal alien who would normally do it...

Anonymous said...

"...................Canadian drivers unloading their own trucks in the U.S. are violating immigration laws................so it is in effect taking work away from the illegal alien who would normally do it..."

You are joking, right?

Montedarlo said...

Hi Anon, thanks for taking the time to comment.
The comment about lumpers was written by a friend and a fellow trucker.
There is a link to his blog on my page and I am sure he could clarify what he meant and explain it further, I dont know the legalities of the situation.
If you know more on the subject perhaps you could let me know and I will glady post your thoughts and information.
Thanks again.

Best wishes, Phil

Montedarlo said...

Me again Anon, I think Jim was getting Legal and Illegal mixed up when he used them in his comment.
Cheers,Phil