Monday, March 23, 2009

EFS Cheques



I dont really know how EFS cheques work but I presume its like how I will describe.
I need some cash to pay either lumpers, wash out or tolls so I request the amount needed via the satellite system in the truck. The received message will give me the transaction number as well as the issuer number, both of these I write on the cheque and give it to say.... the lumper. He then calls a freefone number which authorises and confirms the payment so now the cheque is as good as cash.
It seems as if EFS act as a middle man in handling the cash pretty much the same as Paypal. H&R must either have an account or deposit the cash electronically with EFS and they pay it out, obviously for a handling fee.
Personal cheques can be issued as a cash advance but the handling fee is passed onto the driver
Thats about it really, all it takes is a few minutes and everone is happy

3 comments:

Tom said...

And I take it you carry a book of these cheques..

Montedarlo said...

Hi Tom, yeah I forgot to put that bit in. You can grab a few books from any of the yards and sometimes even the fuel stations and lumpers themselves have them.
Cheers, Phil

Trkrjim said...

Back in the day I worked for companies that put your whole paycheck into a comdata account (efs competitior, I would have to authorize a check for my wife to take to the bank to get the money home.