Monday, March 23, 2009

Bye Bye 65





Its been almost 6 months since I kicked off about the reduction in speed regarding the trucks limiters and by ducking and diving, swerving and avoiding I managed to keep Piglet (my truck) running at a top speed of 65mph, until now. She went in for a service at the weekend and now I am limited to 62mph....I know its only 3mph difference but it makes a difference. Anyway, there is nothing I can do about it so thats that !!

I am sat in Moses Lake Washington at the minute after picking up a trailer in Coaldale Alberta, running across the Crows Nest Pass into British Columbia through Idaho and into Washington.



The pics of the Elk are from a farm in Idaho where they are bred for the meat, as I walked up to the fence the Elk ran up although they kept there distance they were very inquisitive and followed me as I walked along.



Will update when I find out what I have next, work seems really slow at the minute so I would be glad of anything.

2 comments:

Martin said...

Hello Phil,

Ref the speed limiter reduction, someone was saying that drivers get too focused on the '3 miles less per hour' train of thought when actually, it's the overall average speed of a working day that counts. Evidently, that figure isn't barely affected by the reduction.

I don't know either way and am just repeating someone else's thoughts (before I get flamed ;-)).

What's your take on it?

M.

Montedarlo said...

Hi Martin, its right what you say in, as over an average day the cut of 3mph would be virtually non existent. However, when you are aiming to get excess of 600 miles in 11hrs drive it all adds up. Trips that are late getting out of the shipper and already with a very tight schedule benefit from the extra speed. Remember that 90% of the work I do is driving flat out according to posted speed limits of course.
A Bronx run is 4 days hard drive, with the additional 3mph you could "on average" in my estimations save or make up near enough 2hrs.
Then there is the financial side, if I lose 100 miles a week (2hrs driving) providing I work all year I will lose over $2200, and thats just on 2hrs over 7 days.
Personally I would of thought correct tyre pressures would of given the company the savings they were after.
I am no analyst, just would like to run with the rest of the boys at 65.

Cheers for the comment. Phil