Saturday, March 28, 2009

Walldrug..in Wall South Dakota

Places to tether your horse in between car parking spaces

Of all the places I have visited South Dakota comes out top for cheap, easy access things to see. Not so long ago it was the 1880's Town and now its Walldrug.

A small selection from the Western Wear shop


It all started 78 years ago when Dorothy and Ted Hustead bought the drugstore in a place called Wall; home to a population of 326 people. Things were very grim until they came across the idea of giving free iced water to weary travellers as they still do to this very day.

Bronze statues on display in one of the dining rooms


Walldrug is now a 76,000 sq ft attraction which houses restaurants, over 300 original oil paintings and lifesize carvings of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid made from 187yr Cedar tree.

I love this picture...Just one of numerous gift shops


Its worth a visit and there is Truck/RV parking.
Walldrug website can be found HERE

2 comments:

Grumpy said...

Indeed an impressive place to visit. My wife and I visited there a few years back and would happily go again. Whatever you do, don't go with the idea of spending only an hour. Allow some time to relax and see it all.
Folks interested in the trucking comment are always welcome to visit the Grumpy Old Trucker at:
http://GrumpyOldTrucker.com

Montedarlo said...

Hi Grumpy, I went with the intention of just spending an hour and getting a few pictures. As it worked out I rushed around, took pictures, had one coffee (5c) saw very little of the place and spent almost 3hrs there.
I will visit again when I have more time to spend as well as recommending to others.
Had a quick look at your site and there is some interesting reading. I have added a link to your site as I think others would benefit from having a look. If you wish, please feel free to add my blog to yours.
Thanks for not only reading but also for taking the time to comment.
Cheers,Phil