Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Grand Coulee Dam and Dry Falls

Heading up to the Dam

The Dry Falls




As the name suggests, Dry Falls no longer carries water, but is the remnant of what was once the largest waterfall known to have existed on earth. Viewing the 3.5 miles of sheer cliffs that drop 400 feet, it is easy to imagine the roar of water pouring over them. (Niagara Falls by comparison, is one mile wide with a drop of 165 feet).

The Grand Coulee Dam

The Dam was built in 1942 and at the time was one of the biggest concrete structures in the world. Its over a mile long and 550 feet tall, the 9,000,000 cubic meters of concrete that were poured gives it a grand weight of over 24,000,000 tons.
The Dam consists of 4 power plants and 33 generators which provide 6809 MW of power.

1 comment:

Raven said...

I lived there when I was 7-8 years old. 1970-1971. It has my fondest memories. I used to live near Lone Pine and walked by the river every moment possible. I took my son to see it this August and Lone pine hasn't changed much, it's older and the houses are more patched up. Where our trailer had been is overgrown and inaccessable. I still thought it was beautiful. There has been some big granite rock chunks placed up and down the shores just below the dam. My son found one that was submerged and sat on it. I love the Columbia River. There's nothing that smells like it, and it's clear, unlike the part of the Yellowstone that I live near now. I really loved all your photos...Thanx!