Sunday, March 8, 2009

Early finish today so its catch up time.

Last time I wrote I was on the door at the customer in Jarratt Virginia. I was unloaded pretty quickly and needed to have a trailer washout as inside the trailer it was swimming in blood so I was informed there was a wash 15 miles south of where I was so I set off. Suprise suprise there was no wash and my new load had come through which was at Glenn Allen 65 miles north of where I was and the only confirmed trailer wash was 30 miles north of that. Washed the trailer after taking the wrong turning, as the picture shows it doesnt take much to realise I was going the wrong way.


Ran back to the customer and was loaded in record time, my new destination was Mississauga Ontario which would take in Maryland and also Washington DC.
I did plan on stopping the night at Washington DC and was going to take a cab to see the Whitehouse but lack of parking and pretty much not knowing where I was going put a stop to that.
Had an uneventful run to the yard in Mississauga but did cross the border at Fort Erie which is not a million miles from Niagara Falls.
Dropped the trailer and took a 36hr break.

Left friday morning with a load for British Columbia which I will be dropping in the yard at Winnipeg Manitoba. I have travelled this road plenty of times but have never stopped at the Terrance fox memorial at Thunder Bay, the following is an extract from the Terry Fox Run website........





Terry Fox was born in Winnipeg, Manitoba, and raised in Port Coquitlam, British Columbia, a community near Vancouver on Canada's west coast. An active teenager involved in many sports, Terry was only 18 years old when he was diagnosed with osteogenic sarcoma (bone cancer) and forced to have his right leg amputated 15 centimetres (six inches) above the knee in 1977.
While in hospital, Terry was so overcome by the suffering of other cancer patients, many of them young children, that he decided to run across Canada to raise money for cancer research.

He would call his journey the Marathon of Hope.

After 18 months and running over 5,000 kilometres (3,107 miles) to prepare, Terry started his run in St. John’s, Newfoundland on April 12, 1980 with little fanfare. Although it was difficult to garner attention in the beginning, enthusiasm soon grew, and the money collected along his route began to mount. He ran 42 kilometres (26 miles) a day through Canada's Atlantic provinces, Quebec and Ontario.

It was a journey that Canadians never forgot.

However, on September 1st, after 143 days and 5,373 kilometres (3,339 miles), Terry was forced to stop running outside of Thunder Bay, Ontario because cancer had appeared in his lungs. An entire nation was stunned and saddened. Terry passed away on June 28, 1981 at age 22.



The full story and links to leave online donations can be found at Terry Fox website

5 comments:

FINCH said...

You find a parking spot up there? I went up there once with the truck and i was lucky to find a small spot to park for the night. Not trucker friendly at all! LOL

Montedarlo said...

Hi Finch, I did a bit of research on the web but could find no links as to where there was parking in D.C but plenty saying that trucks were banned from overnight parking in specific areas so I gave up. Its a shame when you are so close to somewhere but cant get near it. Will dig a little deeper next time as I am sure there has to be a truckstop just a short cab ride away.

Hey, good luck with getting back to work !!

Kev & Lisa said...

That pic's a good one phil but it looks to be blurred right through the middle for some reason.

Can you get the truck in there? Have wanted to go have a look myself but it's been too snowy since xmas....

Montedarlo said...

Hi Kev, which pic looks blurred ? Cant see it myself but will have another look.
There is parking for poss 2 trucks but it would be a squeeze so wouldnt advise parking overnight. I just happened to have a look after seeing Javi had been up there.
Cheers, Phil

Montedarlo said...

Kev,one of us has a very warped mind and I dont think its me. You got me there big time....I was scrutinising the pictures and it was playing on my mind for ages.

Nice one !!!