Sunday, March 2, 2008

Its days like this when..............

Left the Sandman as the trailer had arrived from High River so picked it up and ran round to the scales, good job as the trailer was over by 400lbs but managed to slide the wheels back and still be legal for the 40ft length in California.
Got to the US customs, straight through and around to meat inspection to join a line of trucks. Luckily I got on a bay pretty quickly and went into the office. After an hour I was told that my load had been selected for a full inspection and I needed to report back at 12pm tomorrow. Marvellous
Today, in theory I have worked for nothing. Granted I have only driven for an hour or so but I faffed on with the trailer, pretripped everything and cleared customs. There is not a lot of things I could of done with the time but I would of found something better. Thing is, will I get paid a layover ? The dreaded layover has reared its ugly head and I should get a 24hr as it will be roughly time I have waited. Its this situation that a lot of english lads find hard to cope with but you have to grin and bare it and hope for the best.
I will keep you posted on wether the layover is authorised and when it is paid.
So, I am sat at Shelby Montana and have a lazy night in front of me. Think I will probably mess on the internet for a while, get some food then watch a movie.
Speak soon

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Phil,

If they don't pay you a layover then that's not very good! I mean you are with the truck and you are available for work. If the authorities want to check the load on a full inspection then that's not your fault!! How much do they pay? I've noticed that these companies make a big point of mentioning how much you get for a layover, but I bet actually getting paid for it is another matter. It shouldn't matter if your English or not, no one works for nothing. I hope they pay you it. Keep us posted.

Andy

Montedarlo said...

Hi Andy, have done a brief post on the layover issue plus in the side bar I am starting a log of the timescales it takes to get paid for the layover,if at all