Friday, March 7, 2008

3-929 to Yuma


Howdy. Unloaded at Vernon and got a reload which involed 3 collections. The first was just around the corner and was a real bitch of a place, the next 2 were in Yuma Arizona. I had a good drive down there which meant going through Palm Springs where they have most wind turbines I have ever seen and once on the I-8 running literally 30ft from Mexico for about 25 miles.
I got the second collection on last night which was citrus fruits but by the time I left I'd had enough so called it a night.
Had a sleep in this morning and found the last customer, got loaded pretty quickly then spent quite a while trying to juggle my axle weights. I originally had over 5000lb too much on the trailer but after sliding the axles back managed to balance it all out, well except for California which I had to transit to get back. The solution was to travel with the axles set back to California, then slide them forward to run the legal length but overweight through California then reset them again to make me totally legal once in Nevada, bit of a pain but it worked.
Anyway the run up from Yuma was full of new sights and I passed through a small town called Quartzsite. All the way along the highway were motorhomes littered a few 100yds off the road and small shanty villages which had flea markets set up and were basically selling junk. Must be a nice life if you can do it, living in the desert without a care in the world.
So now I am parked in the Flying J just north of Las Vegas, I was going to visit the strip again but I need a shower and cannot be bothered to sort myself out and run the 5 miles back to the Wild Wild West parking plus I have 2 quite heavy days driving in front of me.
I have really enjoyed this trip, Los Angeles is a pain in the arse but its a small price to pay.

No comments: