Wednesday, March 19, 2008

6 Months since I landed in Canada.

Hi everyone, sorry for the lack of posts and pictures but the truck is still in the workshops and I have been staying in the Sandman Hotel as I am not keen on the idea of taking another truck for a trip and possibly losing mine for god knows how long as it has everything I own in the world inside.
So, 6 months on since I came here and to be honest it has flown past. I started looking into coming to Canada about 2yrs ago and possibly my biggest regret is not coming sooner. That could of been a bad thing as now H&R have adapted to having European drivers and have changed there perspective on things which didnt happen in the early days. So how has it affected me?
I have never earned so much money.I now consider myself to be well off and discounting my healthcare contribution everything I earn is mine. I have never planned on saving for my old age as I wont be around that long, as soon as I cant wipe my own backside and some young girl has to do it its time for me to say "goodbye".
I have seen the most fantastic scenery, met incredible people and ate food that should of cost a weeks wages but its been given for free. Some of the lads I now call friends are the best I have ever had and hope that many more are to come,its the same sort of the friendship as being in the army where you would trust your mate with your life but not your wife.
I look forward to everyday and still get a buzz when the satellite beeps to tell me where I am going and to me as I enjoy driving its priceless.
To summarize the good points, I have money in the bank, can make good money if I have spent too much yet still can afford to blow cash in Vegas and not worry about it. I have seen roughly 60% of the States and still have a vast area of Canada to cover which in itself is something to look forward to.
The bad points have now fizzled out as they are really only the differences between UK/Europe and N.America and the way things are done. Sitting without pay is always going to be a problem, running bent without extra pay is going to grate the people who do it, I think you all know my answer to that, dont do it!
I cant really describe the being away from home bit as I left home at 17 to join the Army, then drove 13yrs european so I dont really get homesick. I do however miss human contact as some days you might drive all day, not go into a truckstop then go to bed,before long you realise its been a few days since you spoke to anyone. I have on occasion left the Interstate just so my satnav talks to me and tells me to drive straight on and join the motorway.
Am I glad I came? Without doubt!, Regrets? Not coming sooner!
As for people thinking of coming here, if you are single I think you are a fool for not giving it a try. It basically will cost you nothing, you will have traumatic times because its all new but there will be good times which outweigh the bad times 100/1.
I have the utmost respect for the families who come here, they must be under huge pressure and if I was still married I am not sure if I could make the decision to make the move. It seems that they all have a good life and the major plus point is that "troublesome" kids now excell at school and look forward to going. I would not hesitate to swap loads with a married man so he could get home, they deserve it and I would help in anyway.
As for the company itself, H&R Transport. Everything I was told would happen has happened. I earn more money than they quoted, I do the work I am expected to do. There has been nothing hidden and its a relief when you are really annoyed or stressed about something that a simple phone call results in a "We will sort it,dont worry about it" attitude.Personally I think they are a good company and as of yet have given me no cause for concern.
I have to say that tonight I have had a good drink, I dont know why but it just happened. I say this because H&R has a zero tolerance on alcohol while you are in charge of a vehicle and it could of been a lifesaver for me. I drank a huge amount whilst in the UK but literally overnight I stopped drinking. I respect the opportunity that has been given to me by H&R and that was enough to stop my drinking which I believe is a blessing.
I am relly glad I came over here and if I had to leave tomorrow it would be a sad day.

No comments: