Monday, April 27, 2009

Amsterdam, just made it in time.

>



Hi all, we are all back from the trip to Amsterdam for Tom's 18th and nobody got left behind.
Tom's girlfriend; Naomi had an exam on the Friday we left and didn't finish it until 15.15 so it was a bit of a rush to make it to the port which is about 40 miles away in time for the latest check in at the ferry. Things went really well until we hit the Tyne Tunnel and roadworks there caused us some real problems and we ended up arriving at check in with 2 minutes to spare. Not to worry though as we had made it.
Friday night was spent in the bar enjoying the cabaret entertainment, the beer and the company of each other which was Tom, Naomi, Myself and my (ex) sister-in law Lyndsay who's birthday was on Friday the 24th.




The ferry docked the following morning around 09.30am local time and we filtered onto buses which would take us from the Port at Ijmuiden to Amsterdam; I was the one of course who was suffering because of the drink and I blame H&R for this and their zero alcohol policy !!! hahaha
The day was spent wandering around, admiring the views and doing the "must do when in Amsterdam" things. Tom was the only one in the group who participated and over-indulged in the local smoking establishments; it was funny to see him trying to behave normally when his head was in the clouds.
A visit to the sex shops pleased the girls however they were not impressed by the live sex shows; or at least the cleanliness of the cabins.
The buses picked us back up later in the afternoon and took us back to the ferry where all of us except Tom had a quick nap. Tom had decided to hit the bar straight away and ended up going to bed early due to over indulgence.
Overall it was a good weekend, its very expensive now as the Euro is on par with the British Pound but I think its one of the places you have to visit plus we celebrated two birthdays so all is good.



I have nothing planned really for the rest of my time whilst back home but as I said in a previous post I will make an effort to update the blog and try to put some interesting and different posts online.

9 comments:

Ian Sayer said...

Looks like you timed it just right for the good weather.

Montedarlo said...

Hi Ian, the weather was beautiful. Its not been too good since but I am hoping its going to pick up a little.
If you send me your mobile number on here or to montedarlo@hotmail.co.uk I will give you a call so we can meet up for a brew.
Cheers,Phil

Mick Flynn Images said...

Love your photo's Phil

mickfly said...

Hi Phil, really nice pictures mate, which camera are you using now?
I like the one with the higgledy piggledy buildings in the centre of the pic to the right of the chinese.

Me and Cath did the same trip a few years back and it rained constantly lol.

andy said...

hi phil,this is nothing to do with your pics,but i need your help.
i have clicked on a few other people to follow,but its not coming up in "the people i follow window".any ideas!

Montedarlo said...

Hi Mick and Cath, thanks for the picture comments. Have been forcing myself to use the new camera, its just luck if I get a good shot though.
I am stopping in Manchester on the Saturday night as it saves having to leave home at 5am on the Sunday. I didnt know that you were going home...was it a last minute thing ?

Montedarlo said...

Hi Andy, I have no idea why you are having problems with following people. Maybe google it...it might just be a setting that needs to be changed.
Cheers,Phil

mickfly said...

I'm sure it's not all luck Phil, and they are good shots, so keep at it.

Still not 100% sure of our plans.

Montedarlo said...

Hi Mick, travelling to Manchester on the Sat afternoon as I have a hotel booked at the airport. Then I fly on the Sunday.
Thanks for the offer to stay at yours but the hotel is already sorted.
Thanks,Phil