Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Not forgotten you, had no internet

Snow chains not required..
Snow chains required..my arse
Brake check layby on the Coquihalla between Merrit and HopeDont forget to dig your lights out !!

Jeez, its been a hectic week and one tinged with drama.
Got sent across to Langley in British Columbia and had to endure more horrible weather. Take note of the first picture as its relevant for later in the blog. I still have to find a place in BC where you can get the internet, Canada is so far behind with this. Made it across to Langley and dropped the trailer in the yard at Delta and picked up a loaded one for Tracy California,yup the dreaded California again. All was going well until I hit the Oregon/California border and the snow chain lights where flashing. Bugger it I am going to go for it but thought better when I saw the miles of trucks chaining up. My first time at chaining up and to be honest I made the best out of a disaster. We had been advised to check the condition of the chains before the snow set in but I stupidly thought better and didnt bother. What a state they were in, broken links and bent tensioners plus one of them was so thick and heavy I think its previous life was lifting a ships anchor. I was swearing to myself but after a while and with the help of a dozen bungee cords I was fit to go, thinking to myself that it had better be worth the effort, hence the second picture. Not exactly thick snow, no ice, nothing. I was at boiling point. Compared to the picture of BC it was pathetic. Anyway, chains off and rolling again for about 30mins until I was flagged to pull over by another truck, I had a flat tyre. I had run over a broken chain lnk and rammed it through the tread. I had to limp it a few miles down the road and had a repair done but it had cost me a lot of time what with chaining as well.
I arrived at Safeway, Tracy California for a 5am delivery and was told I would be shouted on the CB when they wanted me,great,off to bed. They also shouted everyone else on the CB, all night long. Safeway is no different in the States than the UK. Nobody enjoys working there,it takes hours to unload and they treat you like dogmuck. It also cost me $60 in lumper (hired labour) to split all the pallets down. This is common and H&R refund the cost, I could of had a company cheque issued but its easier to pay cash.
So I am on my way to Port Huemene again for some more bananas and loading tomorrow morning. I havent done the sums yet but I might be able to squeeze some time in at Las Vegas again which seems to be the best part of coming down into California as well as the weather.
Its 60f outside and the sun is shining. Earlier I spoke to dispatch in Lethbridge and they said it was -40 which is seriously cold, bad luck eh !!! thats what you get for sending me where I have to chain up.
I also havent forgotten about writing about the driving hours as again I prefer to let the hours roll over, it suits me better and I am up to day 15 with 24hrs break. It will be posted soon.

No comments: