Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Back to the grind. 2008

The pic is of the defrost pipe from the fridge unit which has frozen overnight.
This is going to be short and sweet as really tired and need to be up early.
I suffer from S.A.D. What happened to the 80f heat of a few days ago?
Drove through North Dakota on New years eve and was subjected to a severe weather warning not to go outdoors unless I was wearing clothing to cover all flesh !!!!
With the windchill (40mph winds) the temp was going to drop to -40 to -50C and a serious risk of frostbite was possible. Crikey !!!
Have got problems with the design of the night heaters in the truck as they are rubbish. If they are intaking air at -20 how in gods name are they meant to keep the truck warm ? Woke this morning and the can of Pepsi on the dash was -2.2c, it had bloody ice crystals in it. Now I know that I was nice and warm in bed but at some point I have to get up and put on clothes and shoes at the same temperature.
Probably tomorrow I am going to give all the details of my recent trip such as hours worked,mileages and such like as this has been a decent trip.
I received an abusive comment yesterday calling me a liar (to put it politley) regarding the hours I work, the way the company treats drivers and the wages I earn. The whole purpose of this blog is to give my family and friends a way of keeping up with what I am doing and where I am. It is not intended as an H&R recruitment campaign. Granted I may offer titbits of information that may help others (when and if) they decide to come over to Canada but in no way do I intend to influence anybody. Maybe the person who sent the message should do the same as I did and sell everthing that they have worked for, for the last 23 years, say goodbye to everyone that they love and give it a go instead of moaning about the wages that they are not earning because they are not here. Money is not everything you knob !!!. I work to live, not live to work !!
This is Canada and America. Trust me when I say that over here I am a very wealthy man. !!!!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi ya mate !
Just to wish you a Happy New Year !& dont let the Dreamers (Knobs) get you down! Great blog keep it up!also get youself down to Walmart for longjohns HA HA HA!
All the best for the future
NIGEL.....

Anonymous said...

HIYA MATE! Just to wish you a happy new year! also dont let the Dreamers(knobs) get you down ! great blog keep it up! also get your butt down to walmart for some longjohns! HA HA HA!!

NIGEL......

Lyndon said...

"Money is not everything you knob !!!. "

Ha Ha Ha Phil that is great.

If i ever write my autobiography could i please use that as a title.

That idiot who called you a liar is either someone who tried it and it didnt work for them (its never their fault is it - eh ? )

Or they think that you only came over test the water so its safe for them. The next thing is, they will be asking you to post photocopies of your payslips and run sheets.

Or even maybe photograph your odometer with a newspaper next to it to verify the date.

Keep up the great blogging matey and keep rising above it.

By the way i am in Ripon CA so hope your enjoying the snow.

Safe Journeys

Lyndon

Anonymous said...

hey phil
take no notice of that idiot.you're out there having a good time and building a good life for yourself.he's probably sitting in his pants in front of his pc thinking about what might have been.
happy new year
jools

Trkrjim said...

it's not the heater it's the freightliner! i have the same truck and unit.crap insulation or lack of. i get water dripping down from the roof through the light on really cold days. just condensation coming off the uninsulated cold roof. do you get cold coming from under the bunk while the heat blows out towards the front? it is the first generation of these divices, if we don't freeze they will probably get better.

Montedarlo said...

Hi trkrjim. The heater is pathetic. Cannot see how they are meant to blow hot air when they are intaking air at -30. Its packed in anyway so going to thermoking in an hour to have it fixed.
Cheers

Anonymous said...

That's not good mate. if anything it's a bl00dy safety hazard, you could die of hypothermia in your sleep!! I hope you are sleeping in two doss bags?

Can't you have an electric fan heater running off the tripack, they provide mains voltage don't they?

I hope these new Cascadia trucks are a lot better insulated..

Keep safe dude.

Andy