Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Grey,Bleak and Miserable


Pleased I didn't hold my breath waiting for the trailer. It arrived at 3pm, the weather was crap and the snow was starting to settle on top of the already compacted snow.
I fueled 3929 and we set off into the gloom. I am not keen on driving the mountains at night for a few reasons, the first is I dont know the roads and the second is that there is very little parking so if you need to stop its tough luck.
As it was the roads were in good nick and the only things holding me up was the heavy load I had on and other trucks just pottering along without a care in the world. I arrived at Calgary and dropped the trailer. It took 9hrs to drive 400 mile which isnt bad going I suppose.
While I remember all the pictures on the right hand side of the page can be supersized so you can see the detail better.
Waiting to be despatched at the minute, I did have a preplan that would take me to Nampa Idaho but we will have to see if that still stands.

2 comments:

dave said...

Hi mate first let me introduce my self my name is Dave carnwell and I come from stoke I should be starting with H and R at the begining of march and was just wondering if you could give me a rough idea of how much money to bring with me to tide me over till the paychecks start rolling in I,ll be coming on my own cheers mate Dave

Montedarlo said...

Hi Dave, I hope you are well. When I came over I think it was about £3000 that I brought with me which was more than enough. My first wage came in 6 weeks later. I didnt get a food allowance from H&R as they had just stopped doing it so you need to be able to buy 3 meals a day plus stuff you may need such as work boots but there is no panic for stuff like that. When you are on the road you may want to buy a fridge,TV,CB and other home comforts. Your main expense really will be food. Breakfast is roughly £5 and an evening meal from £5-10 depending on where and what you eat. Fast food places are everywhere and are generally cheaper than the UK. If you smoke, ciggies cost pretty much the same as the UK and beer is a little more expensive I think it works out at £2.50 a pint in the Sandman Hotel.
Regarding changing money I brought it all over in cash. I watched the daily exchange rate and changed money from £ to $ when the rate was good. When you land here Hans from VRV will take you to open a bank account. You are under no obligation to join the bank he takes you to as you may prefer to join a different one.
Any more questons you can email me direct at montedarlo@hotmail.co.uk if you like. See you soon and good luck, Phil