Friday, January 11, 2008

Calgary - Nampa Idaho, Snow and USDA





What a few days I have had. I should be furious but feel pretty good in myself.
After waiting in Calgary for the trailer I got the ok that it was loaded but I had to wait until 6pm to get the paperwork. I collected both then was told that the document that gets us across the border (Ace manifest)had to be collected from Lethbridge the following morning. I parked at the yard and picked up the papers then set off, had a bloke with loads of problems in front of me at the desk in US customs but got the ok to go to meat inspection. My load had been selected for a full inspect so 6hrs later I was free to go less 9 boxes of beef that had been "Denied Access" to the states for not having the correct labels on. Denied Access, that made me giggle a bit!
The run down through Montana was good and I was making good time until I was about 30 mins from Idaho and the weather turned for the worst. The pics above show the amount of snow that collected on the back and underneath the truck. Visibility when following another truck was next to zero due to the powdery snow being kicked up. The lad in front must of been papping himself and had slowed to 20mph so a quick word on the CB that I was coming past and I was away with a clear view of the road ahead. It was late when I parked so it was late when I left this morning. No dramas at the delivery point and I am now running 450 miles empty to Portland Oregon for a load of prepacked salads.
I have loaded at the place in Oregon before and I should get some cracking photos on the run back to Edmonton.
Speak to you then.
Route was Calgary,Lethbridge.
Montana...Great Falls, Butte
Idaho.....Pocatello, Boise, Nampa.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Monte

So what happens to the "denied access" meat? Does it go back to the shippers, or do the customs boys have some nice free steaks to take home for dinner?

Andy

Montedarlo said...

Hi Andy, I think the beef is scrapped and I presume it is sold for pet food or incinerated.
When I went to Laredo Texas I had one box too many on the load and customs told me it would be burnt. Now if this actually happens is another question we might not get the true answer to !

highway to hell said...

Hi Phil, now thats a frosty looking trailer!

Montedarlo said...

Hi Highway, I was called onto a scale the following morning and I reckon I had picked up an extra 300lbs in snow. The whole of the underside of the trailer was solidly packed. Today I am in California and its bloody red hot. You cant complain about things being the same everyday with this job !