Tuesday, December 11, 2007

The cold and the Sheriff


Oh man, what a crap week its been. Freezing temperatures,the road from hell and a run in with the old bill.
The run up from Joplin Missouri was pretty uneventful and I flew through customs at Sarnia Michegan with no problems other than the snow on the ground. I ran into the yard at Mississauga Ontario, dropped the trailer and then began my trip across to Calgary Alberta.
The road we take is to be blunt a "bitch". Speed limits of 90kph, all single track roads for 1000 miles with nothing to really see. God help you if you need a number 2 as it could be hours before you see any sign of a toilet. The map even makes the trip depressing as the section for Northern Ontario changes scale to about 50 mile per inch so the little section it shows takes bloody 2 days to drive.
I stopped for one of the night at a place called Cochrane Ontario and believe me it was really cold. The picture in the left hand column shows the outside temp and I will leave it to you to calculate how cold it was using the temp chart I posted.
I survived the night and headed off on my travels. Once you enter the province of Manitoba/Saskatchewan the roads open up and the speed limit is a bit more generous so you can clip on into Alberta which is where you will find Calgary.
The phrase "clip on" was my downfall while passing a pokey little township near Medicine Hat. I was called into scale at a weighbridge and left pleased as I was heavy but legal, so off I went without a care in the world until I had to overtake a slow moving car and seconds later saw flashing police lights behind.
Apparentley the speed limit was 80kph through the pokey township and as I had not noticed the signs I went through at 105kmh.
The Sheriff was very clinical,took my licence and insurance,went to his car and returned with a "Violation Ticket" for the sum of $150 (£75).Thanks very much,off you go. I swear I never saw the sign for the speed limit !
So the trailer was dropped at the Calgary yard and I need to reset my hours due to the crap roads at the beginning of the trip. 36 hours at Fling J Calgary,brilliant !
See, its not all glorious scenery and huge hotdogs here, there is some rubbish that tags along but all in all I am having the time of my life.

No comments: