Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Christmas Day over and done with.



Hi all, well xmas has been and gone.
Spent Xmas eve at the "J" Cheyenne and woke up this morning to snow, how much did you people at home wish for that? Its great when you can get the sledge from the garage but not so great when you have 600 miles to drive.
Woke up about 6am and got straight into making phone calls which I thoroughly enjoyed and it was good to hear that everyone had a good day and had full bellies.
I didnt bother with breakfast but set off into the ice and snow which was ok as the roads were empty. The stereo in the truck automatically broadcasts severe weather warnings and just as Chris Moyles started his xmas show I was told that my breakfast stop - Denver Colorado was getting badly hit by snow and high winds.
Hungry as hell I pulled in and went for an all u can eat breakfast and caught up with a few calls that I had missed earlier. The snow was forecast to fall at a rate of 4-5" per hour so I set off in a bid to beat the worst. Luckily I outran it in about 1hr and pointed 3929 towards Texas.
Did I mention I am going to Laredo Texas which is right on the mexican border. The load of beef I have is destined for Mexico and can only transit the USA. When I arrive the load is transhipped to a Mexican and we go our own ways after that.
Hopefully by now my Dad will have is Xmas gift of a Roadmap so he can follow my travels. This is for you Dad, the route I have to take on this trip.
Canada,Alberta (Calgary,High River,Lethbridge,Sweetgrass) USA Montana (Shelby,Great Falls,Billings) Wyoming (Sheridan,Casper,Cheyenne) Colorado (Denver,Limon,Lamar) Oklahoma (Boise City) Texas (Amarillo,Lubbock.Abilene,San Antonio,Laredo) Then the toll road to the customer.
Ok, thats enough for today, at the minute I am at lubbock so a good shift tomorrow will get me to Laredo. Speak soon

2 comments:

paul and alison said...

Hi, My name is Paul Conroy we used to work together at Autocarriers. I just discovered your blog which is amazing as i have been offered a with H&R. Be pleased to hear from you. Paul

Montedarlo said...

Hi Paul, I remember you. Think the last time we spoke was on Portrack Lane at the cash and carry place. Hows things, good I hope.
Its really good to hear from you, its a small world.
There is a few lads from Darlo work here and plenty more from the North East.
Do you have any idea of timescales regarding coming over here ?
I see that you will be bringing your family, have you looked at Lyndons Blog yet as its very family orientated and has loads of info regarding houses and such like as well as being a very good read.http://lyndon001.blogspot.com/
Anyway, if I can help out in any way just drop me an email to montedarlo@hotmail.co.uk.
Best wishes, Phil