Saturday, November 24, 2007

Grand Canyon National Park (click pic to supersize)


Today has been the best driving experience of my life. I have witnessed the most stunning landscapes that I have ever seen. Forget Europe as there is no comparison. Today I drove through the Grand Canyon National Park and it was just awesome
The first part of the drive was a gruelling climb that went on for what seemed like hours and brought me out at a place called Flagstaff. All the way up the climb is cactus and some of the greenest parts of the USA I have seen.
Once past Flagstaff the view opens out into a vast desert of dry grass but this soon gives way to red soil and rocks and then all of a sudden there it is, the most wonderful scenery. Huge ridges tower above the truck, on the ground below native Indians have set up home and every few miles they sell trinkets at small roadside shacks
The pics I have taken do not do the place justice, I cannot believe that I get paid to drive through places like this.
As I crossed into Utah it was dark so unfortunately there are no photos of that bit but in the moonlight it did look pretty impressive.
The trip today from Eloy Arizona to Richfield Utah will stay with me forever, of that I have no doubt.






No comments: