Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Empty all the way to Tucson Arizona and beyond


Hi, its true. 1050 miles empty and probably more as the word is that I am loading in California. So its easy running at 70mph until my time runs out, which happened sooner than expected.
Now to be honest I don't really understand the hours you can work over here. I was under the impression that I could work 70hr in 7 days but I am in the USA and I was wrong. Over here its 70hr in 8 days so there is me thinking I could claw back time and all I was left with was 3.5hr to work with today. Its not so bad tomorrow as I can claim back 12.75 but I was looking forward to blasting on today.
At the minute I am at the flying j at Pesco Texas and struggling to keep an internet connection. The weather has been great the last few days and has been touching 80f which is nice.
Today I pulled off the highway and ate at one of the places that most people would tend to drive past in favour of a Bigmac. It was called Pappas BBQ and is about 45 mins west of Pecos on the I-20. From the outside it looked nothing special but the carpark told a different story. It was heaving and the truck parking which can hold about 10 had half a dozen rigs in there.
Once inside its a family ran affair, you select which meat you would fancy, select 2 sides and then pay. I chose a small plate of roast brisket of beef. The portions are measured by weight and small means half a pound of meat. With it I had mixed beans and the best potato salad I have ever had. Included also in the price is what I can only describe as a taste sensation...cornbread ! Then you can visit the condiments counter for pickles,chillies and the like. With a glass of the coke the price was $9. Its one place I would recommend and I will be going back.
So its been a lazy day for me, I should of made the effort to clean the Kenworth out a little but its not my truck and its not my mess.
Tomorrow brings a new day, I should hit El Paso in about 4hrs and be in Tucson 4hrs roughly after that so its an early night for me.
Its 1845 here, the truckstop is filling up and its all-u-can-eat buffet for tea.
I hopefully should have some more news and pics tomorrow.

No comments: