Friday, November 23, 2007

Breakdown...Again !!!


Thought it was too good to be true. 1159 miles of easy empty running across Texas, New Mexico and into Arizona, nice warm temps then bang, it all goes a little bit wrong.
I find out that I have 5 collections in Nogales Arizona, luckily enough they are all within a stones throw of each other and it took about 5hrs to get them all on. I then had to use the weighbridge and found out I was 3500lbs heavy on the arse end so after a bit of jiggling the axles about (will explain when I have more time) and 2 more weighs I finally get myself legal.
I have talked about the satellite in previous posts and I really missed it today. The idea is we send a message when we arrive at the customer, when we are loaded and with what. I would of had to do this 5 times and then I would of sent a final load call which would summarize the total loading plan which dispatch can check to make sure there has been no blunders. I had to use the phone and it was a nightmare.
So, finally loaded I set off,me and my load of waremelons,greenbeans,courgettes and cucumbers. I pulled in for fuel at Eloy and saw the whole truck and trailer was covered in oil with a massive pool underneath the engine. I had to call the rental company who were superb and had a mechanic with me within 20mins. One of the oil filters had slightly loosened itself and sprayed its mess everywhere. It was promptly fixed at a Petro service centre and I was free to go.
I am now sat at a truckstop waiting for the morning so I can get a decision on who is going to pay for the truck to be washed. Total cost of callout,oil and filters was $311. The bulk of that was labour at $203 so its no different to the UK when it comes to being ripped off by garages.
My camera has ran out of battery life so not a lot of pics to be had lately. Its a shame as came past some signposts in New Mexico saying I was in a USAF test area, signs warning me that "dust storms exist" and a few telling me not to pick up hitchhikers as there were prisons nearby.
I did manage to get a few though and I have posted them for you to see.
Looks like its that time again so will love ya and leave ya.

4 comments:

Martin said...

Enjoying your blog and it is good to see it updated regular.

Very glad you changed the font that was showing last night - it was giving me a headache!! LOL

When you next get a chance could you post a picture of the Idle Air fitted to the side window i.e. how does it fit and make an airtight seal??

Keep it up!! See you over on www.BritishTruckersAbroad.com ;-))

RYAN said...

good old blog and told as it is. an excellent read

coming over in may so will keep in touch

1Q how did you go about your tax return when you left uk? was told by tax office that if i went after 5th april 08 i would be entitled to the full years tax return!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Martin. Will sort some close up pics of the Idle Air as not really sure how they work or form a seal. I have never had to use one yet but will do my homework for you.
Thanks for following the blog.

Anonymous said...

Hi Mark, I literally just got up and left when I came over as I was leaving a lot of debt behind. I know a lad who came over with me is in the process of claiming his tax back so you must be able to do it. I do know you need your P45 from your last employer.Cheers