Monday, November 19, 2007

Breakdown


How bad can things get ?
Already running a day late for my delivery in Texas due to the shipper, I set off on my travels and did the customs thing and cleared the meat inspection -so far so good.
After parking at Great Falls I set off nice and early and was having a good run, until....... "Check Engine" warning light comes on and all power disappears from the truck. So there I am sat just south of Eddies Corner Truckstop. I gave the truck a minute to sort itself out then turned the key. Nothing except the sound of the reverse buzzers going off which was strange considering I was going forward at 60mph when this happened. I tried again but nothing. A quick message to the breakdown people led to me having to walk up to the truckstop to ring Penske who are the people H&R lease the trucks from. This all happened at 0930am. I was told that a tow truck would be with me in 2hrs. The 2hrs passed and at 3.30pm a recovery truck and a bobtail unit arrived. Apparently its not allowed for a wrecker to tow a semi so hence the other unit.
We left at about 6pm and arrived in Billings at about 8.30. The driver of the wrecker had disconnected the batteries so I had to book into a hotel for the night. I was quoted $76 for the night and rang H&R to authorize a T-Check which is basically a travellers cheque. I was told to ring back in an hour as there was a problem with the computers. So I rang back, got the authorization and trotted off to the hotel to be told by a different receptionist that they didn't accept T-Checks and the bill for the night would be $86. I was gutted but paid cash for the room and still have to sort the T-Check out.
I arrived back at freightliner this morning and the truck hadn't been touched so it was pack a bag with everything I thought I might need as I was getting a rental truck to finish the trip.
I ended up with a right banger of a Kenworth, 750000 miles on the clock and as dirty as a texan whore. The saving grace for the truck is that its limited to 70mph so with the extra speed the time I have to spend in it will be shorter. I miss comforts of my Freightliner.
So thats me, on my way to Texas, running a day and a bit late and having the fillings shook from my teeth.
All in a days work eh ?

No comments: