Thursday, February 14, 2008

Nova Scotia, so near so far !!

Bridge from Port Huron Michigan to Sarnia Ontario

Hi, its been a busy week and have loads to say.
Made it into Des Moines Iowa the night before my delivery and parked in the yard. Had a quick tip and was promptly despatched to load about 2hr away at Ottumwa. As I scrolled down the loading instructions my heart beat a little faster when I saw the destination...Debert Nova Scotia. Brill, not only is it huge miles but it meant that New Brunswick and Nova Scotia could be added to my list of "places been"
The trailer was washed out and I was ready and waiting to load at 12.30, and I waited and I waited.Eventually at 5pm I was put on the dock and waited and waited. All in all I was ready to go at 11pm.
I had calculated the hours I would need to do the trip and because of wasted time I couldnt make it, I reckon I needed another 4hrs. The following morning I informed dispatch and received a message asking for my ETA at the yard in Mississigau, they were going to take it off me. I sent the info and floored the throttle only to be slowed down by ice on the roads for virtually the whole time spent transiting Illinois but I still managed to clock up 550miles. I parked at Flint Michigan and totted up my hours, I was still 1340 miles from Debert but I had 26hr driving available and 2 days to do it in. All I needed to do was average 51mph for the 26hr and I was there.
I informed H&R but it was too late, I had to drop the trailer at Montreal, what a bummer.
Its not all bad though as the trailer I have now is for British Columbia and I am dropping it at Calgary which is 2300 miles away so that will keep me out of mischief for the next few days.
Just out of interest if the load I have now had loaded in Nova Scotia and I took it to the delivery point the distance would have been 3500 miles. Awesome.
Anyway, whats the morale of the story ? Should I have taken the load for Nova Scotia and lied that I could make the delivery when I didnt think that I could or do as I did. Had H&R rang the customer I am sure a few hours wouldn't of hurt. Still its too late now, I dont like to bend my driving hours and there will always be another Nova Scotia.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi mate,

It's not worth killing yourself or trashing the truck on ice just to get somewhere. I'm sure there will be other opportunities. Why don't you ask your dispatch guy to keep you in mind for a run to NS? I'm sure they can help you out if you want them too.

Montedarlo said...

Its true what you say Andy. There will be other runs there and I am not prepared to run bent to get a load.

Trkrjim said...

you might not have wanted to come back to the prairies after seeing the maritines. I would then have to run all the way over to the east coast to see you slogging up and down I95 in a POLESTAR or SUNBURY truck.drive safe.