Sunday, February 17, 2008

Calculations and Conversions

After 100's of miles of crap roads from Ottawa to Cochrane (H-17) you get this. Bliss!!

Made an arse of myself the other day and it goes to prove that its best to plan everything.
Miles to Kilometers, Pounds to Kilograms, Feet to Meters ars conversions a truck driver here has to carry out countless times in a day.
So I pulled the trailer out of Montreal, looked at the truck suspension gauge and saw it had a low reading which for the weight I had on meant I was really heavy on the trailer. It was late so I drove to the Flying J and would scale the load off in the morning. I slept well, washed and ate then put 3929 on the weigh bridge, I knew it, 39280lbs on the trailer and 32580lbs on the drives. There was no way I could spread that excess amount legally over the axles so I fired off a message asking dispatch what I should do. The answer was simple, move your axles !!! Then it clicked. When running in Canada 99% of the time you are weighed in Kilogrammes, when in or going to the States its pounds, but, an american pound is differnt to a canadian pound and I had convinced myself I was running on the USA conversion.
Basically 17000kg(canada) = 37478lbs(canada) = 34000lbs(USA) which is a vast difference. After wasting hours it took 5mins to slide the trailer axles back which see-sawed some weight forward and I was legal.
I owe a few apologies, firstly to dispatch for wasting there time and secondly to the lad who loaded the trailer, and even though the axles wern't set right he didnt deserve the names I called him all beginning with "The french........"
Anyway, remember where you are and where you are going as it helps a great deal.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Even more things to consider. Why they can't have the same weights North and South is beyond me. A lot of this trouble would be avoided if they used tri-axle trailers but for some reason they aren't allowed in some States and don't seem very popular. Weird...