Wednesday, February 6, 2008

No time off and feathers ruffled a little

Early morning in Utah

Frozen waterfalls

Hi. Well when I got to Calgary the city driver who works locally told me to drop the trailer at the customer and he would tip it so thanks to him and I will buy him a drink if I see him out.
Next day I was dispatched to do a trailer swap in British Columbia at 11am. I arrived at the customer and was told that the load would be at least a few hours until it was ready so I had some food and generally wasted time until then. At 1630 I got the all clear to go and saw my backside a bit as it was a 6hr drive through the mountains to meet the lad who would deliver the load. As it turned out the weather wasnt too bad and I made good time, switched trailers and went to bed. The following morning I slept in and didnt wake until 1030 but no harm was done and I plodded on into Calgary. On the way I asked dispatch if it was possible to have the truck serviced in Lethbridge so I could have a day off and was told basically that the truck could be serviced anywhere and I was not a priority as I had not booked the time off. Now forgive me but I have worked for the last 17weeks and the only day I have had off was the last time the truck was in for service, was it too much to ask for a 24hr period where I could do as I wished. Although I was a bit miffed I shrugged the comment off and carried on.
The trailer I had switched was dropped in Calgary last night and I had already been preplanned to pick up a trailer to drop at Lethbridge but the load confirmation never came through.
It was panic stations this morning, I needed to pick up the trailer and get it to Lethbridge asap. No problem as the load was ready to go at High River and I was dropping the trailer by 1100am.
I am now sat in the Sandman Hotel courtesey of H&R as the truck is being serviced. For the first time in a long time I have had a few pints and relaxed. Although its only been a few hours I am looking forward to getting back in the truck and doing some work, sad eh!
I am off to Des Moines Iowa tomorrow and have plenty time to get there so I am quite looking forward to it.
Nothing else has really happened, the weather up here was not as bad as I was told but as you can see by the pics the cold does bring some beautiful things to see.
Coming up soon is a guide on how to put on snowchains with plenty of pics, bet your already looking forward to it !!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Phil,

How's it going mate? So what happened there then? Did they service the truck in Lethbridge after feeling guilty or was there a cock up?
I bet those few pints were fantastic? The pictures are amazing mate, it really shows how harsh the winter is over the pond. Imagine if it was like that here!!! Enjoy your time off. How long does it take them to service a unit? Really looking forward to the snow chain article. I've never put a set on in my life.

Take care mate

Andy

Anonymous said...

Great Pictures, i hope you don't mind i saved a few of them and use them for backgrounds. Very informative website, keep up the good work.
Graham T.