Saturday, June 6, 2009

Califonia to Nevada..The Donner Pass



Leaving California and heading East on I-80 takes you over Donner Pass which is hailed as one of the snowiest places in the States (average snowfall of 10.5 metres a year). Its a hell of a climb getting to the top which is 7227ft above sea level. Due to the bad weather chain restrictions apply here more often than not and due to this the roads are in a hell of a state, the teeth on the snow chains make a mess of the surface.
Once at the top there is a visitors centre where you can take a walk and see huge boulders that have been left from glaciers as well as score marks on the rock face which track the glaciers movement.




6 comments:

The Big Ape said...

Very Stunning photo's have you ever thought of making a coffee table book of all the photos you have taken? I am sure it would be a best seller!

Cheers
The Big Ape
http://madmonkeymediaservices.blogspot.com

Ian Sayer said...

Alright Phil?

I've got to say I'm a bit jealous reading that. We're heading for Atlantic Canada, because that's where the wife wants to go (and she'll be the one at home all of the time), but my first choice would be Alberta. I love the idea of driving around the rockies, the Pacific coast, California and Texas. It sounds like you live the life of riley

Anonymous said...

Hey Phil,

If you ever get to go back to Bonneville maybe it would be a good idea to take one of those streamlined double decker trailers that are so popular for trunking in the UK. Should help Pigglet get up a bit of speed.

Bert Bucket.

Trkrjim said...

Read about the Donner Party, They had a much harder time getting over that mountain than we do.

ROGER TRUCKER said...

Nice to follow up on the California trips... I've missed them, hope to get some soon.
Cheers from H&R unit #2317
Cheers,
RT

Montedarlo said...

Hi all, will try to reply to you all in the one post.
I am pleased you like the pics but a book ? I did see in Walmart that they will make up a very nice looking binder/book with prints included that is very reasonable and actually cheaper than getting the prints done themselves.

Hi Ian, I do enjoy myself if I can help it. My attitude is that for some reason I might never see these places again so I make the most of it while I can.

Hi Bert, one of those trailers would make people look twice for certain, dont think the aerodynamics would crack the speed limiter though.

Hi Jim, I did read about it on wikipedia, some of them resorted to cannabilism eh. Might have to start putting some links on the blog so people can check up on the history of places.

And finally Roger, good to hear from you again. California will come soon enough, you just need to be in the right place at the right time.