Monday, June 8, 2009

Back in Canada so its time for things to go wrong.

After a really good run to Salinas CA and then a single pick up which would take me to Toronto (2750 miles)I eventually crossed the bridge into Canada. I was in good spirits until I was pulled into a scale for a full inspect. The lady who carried out the inspection was very pleasant and even allowed a smile to spread across her stern exterior. Result...Piglet passed, trailer passed, me failed.
I had miscalculated my hours and in return had not taken the obligatory 24hrs off within 14 days work. No point in bluffing to the lady so I had to hold my hands up and accept the consequences. She gave me a choice of which to this day I am truly grateful; either park up for 24hrs or receive a $400 fine and park up for 72hrs. The choice was easy, I was going nowhere for a day.
US despatch did a sterling job of having my trailer switched and I was left with a load for 2 drops around Toronto which didnt deliver until Monday (it was now saturday morning).
Sunday morning came and I was free to leave only to find out that I had to deliver the load on Monday; so 3hrs driving later that was my day at an end.
Delivered the 2 drops this morning and once again thats it for the day and possibly tomorrow. I dont know how little I have earned for the last few days nor if I was being punished for being put out of service but the idea of getting a cab into downtown Toronto has been put on the back burner.
I dont know why but coming back into Canada now seems to have an cloud of pessimism hanging over it, I wish it wasnt the case !

2 comments:

Trkrjim said...

ouch that hurts. At least you were being honest. when they bust you for falsifying the penalties here in the states can go over $1,000 depending which state you happen to be in.

Montedarlo said...

Hi Jim, I realise that I got off very lightly. Some other guys who got stopped did not get away so easily and the fines were running into the $1000's.
Like I said, I was very appreciative that she gave me the choice.

Keep safe,Phil