Saturday, June 6, 2009

Bonneville Speedway, Salt lake Flats



After a thoroughly enjoyable run empty I reloaded out of Salinas California with just one pick up which is almost unheard of when you are loading produce.
My destination was Toronto which in itself is a hell of a good run, approx 2700 miles.
As you saw in my last post I visited the Bonneville Speedway and was quite disappointed in what I saw. I had visions of Grandstands and maybe even a visitors centre or a museum but there was nothing..and I mean nothing. The road just comes to an end and thats it. The Salt Flats were still covered in water and it will need a few more hot weeks to bake the surface; but the view was amazing. Almost 160 square miles of nothing; its said that from certain areas you can see the curvature of the earth.The Salt Flats are so inhospitable that even the simplest life forms such as plants cannot live there.


2 comments:

mickfly said...

Two flower bouquets in the windscreen?
You haven't got a lady housekeeper have you?
Great pics as usual (and getting better) mate.

Drive safe.

Montedarlo said...

Well spotted Mick. Its a vain attempt to lure the ladies or at least show them my feminine side when I drag one back to the cab.
Plus I like them....omg...how gay !!
Best wishes to you and Cath