Saturday, November 22, 2008

A week continued...part 3

Thoroughly enjoyed my day off but come Friday morning it was time to set off again.
Left waterloo after fuelling and the pretrip at 6.30am and drove to Romeoville Illinois where I arrived at the shipper an hour early. I was told to report back in a hour which I did and was put on a bay. That was at 2pm local time. I was loaded by 6pm but then had to scale the load to check it was legal before they would give me the bills. Did that and reported back that all was good only to be informed that a USDA inspector (Vet) had to check the load....... so I sat and waited and eventually at 8pm I was ready to go.
I had less than half an hour left for my working day so returned to the truckstop where I had scaled and told that parking was $10 unless I fuelled there or spent $75 in the forecourt shop. Looks like my wallet will be a little lighter.
My earnings for the day topped out before tax at approx $150, thats for a 14hr shift and includes the loading bonus, I have lost count as to how many hours are classed as "other work"

So leaving Romeoville this morning and heading for Winnipeg Manitoba, its around 900miles. I dont know as yet as to whether or not I am unloading it or dropping the trailer in the yard, we will have to wait and see.

Bye for now.

3 comments:

Martin said...

Phil,

$150 for a day is somewhat a bummer and not the kind of figures that would attract more 'new blood' from over here!!

It does start to make me wonder if another H&R blogger is getting a better deal or is only reporting on the positives!

Have you bumped into Shedlock2000 or read any of his comments over on BE?

M.

Montedarlo said...

Hi Martin, like I said at the beginning of this, the Waterloo run is a regular thing and as long as I hit my delivery/collection times everything else is out of my hands. Had the customer had me loaded and away then the earnings for the day would of been significantly different, as they also would be if we got paid "Detention".
Will pass your message to Andy if I hear from him.
Cheers,Phil

Montedarlo said...

Hi Martin, yeah I know Shedlock2000. He has his own valid points and ideas, thumbs up ti him I say.
Cheers,Phil