Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Screwed again by Consignee's

Once again the customer is always right, or so they say !!
Arrived at my last delivery bright and early this morning, 6am to be precise, only to be told that the goods inwards opened at 7am. OK....
Went back at 7 and was told I wasnt booked in....OK....
Said they would unload me at 9am, cool...
Went back at 9 and was fobbed off with "we will call you" ...OK
Eventually I was put on a bay at 2pm, was told I might be a while and was asked for $150 to be unloaded. I was furious, called them 'effing' bandits then stomped back to the truck to arrange an EFS Cheque.

Time was now running out, USA despatch had worked out a trip for me that was loading a day early which meant that I had an extra day to make the delivery appointment back in Calgary, or to put it in other words I had time to reset in Las Vegas. Thanks to Mark/Doug for arranging the load, its much appreciated.

Arrived at Port Hueneme to load bananas with 30mins to spare, was loaded in less than 20 mins and set off on my merry way.

Today could of been so much easier and less stressful, the blame lies totally with the consignee and the way I was messed about. I wonder if these people have the same laid back attitude when there cable goes off and they are told it will be a few days before it can be repaired. Welcome to my world.........!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi phil, I dont understand about having to pay to be unloaded. Any chance you could explain or point me to a previous post where you already have. Thanks Graham

bored blogger said...

Hi Phil,

Great blog. i have pm you on brit expat site. i hope you get chance to read it.

thanks steve.

Montedarlo said...

Hi Graham. Its a stupid thing over here that would probably never happen anywhere else in the world. You have a Walmart load, to deliver to Walmart yet you have to pay Walmart for them to unload it. Crazy isnt it ?
It happens all over North America and the costs vary depending on how much product there is and whether its on pallets or not.
H&R will issue a cheque to cover the costs so its not down to you to pay.

Cheers,Phil

Montedarlo said...

Hi Steve, a message is on BTA waiting for you now.

Cheers,Phil

Anonymous said...

Thanks Phil,
So i wonder would H&R then bill the customer for the cost of unloading or do they take that into consideration when providing the initial quote for transport. Strange.
Thanks

Montedarlo said...

Hi Graham. Googled "lumpers" and it looks like businesses let them onto the property to unload wagons, the company doesnt pay them or provide any benefits so its basically a cost saving exercise.
Cheers and see you soon.
phil

Anonymous said...

Thanks Phil, i copied your lead and googled Lumpers, now i understand. I found this interesting article entitled 'Lumpers, service or scam'. http://www.skaggmo.addr.com/lumpers.htm
Thanks for helping me out.

Montedarlo said...

Hi Graham, personally I think its a scam, especially when you have to wait hours over your booking time. If I have to pay I want to be in and out of there straight away.
Cheers,Phil