Saturday, December 27, 2008

Back in Ontario !



Hi all, well things went a little bit wrong so any plans I had went up in smoke.
The easy run to Edmonton was interupted by a trailer switch on Xmas day and although I didnt ask I have a feeling that the switch was because the other driver 'doesnt do Ontario'. The reason for this is the weather was bad, the roads are single lane and the speed limit is 56mph which is no good for speedy running and big miles.The 'I dont do that or go there' excuse seems to becoming increasingly common !!!



So with nothing open on Xmas day and my not doing the shopping early resulted in Xmas dinner being Ravioli and Hot Dogs. I felt sorry for Tom but he knows the score and I will make it up to him pretty soon, the BBQ will be saved until next time and I will be stocked up with goodies....maybe New Year.

Dropped the trailer in Mississauga this morning and have been planned for another load to Alberta but....I need the truck putting through its MOT and I need 24hrs off to keep myself legal in Canada. I think I have enough time to roll both things into one but things change and anything can happen.

The weather has been awful the last few days in Ontario, snow slowed me down to 20mph the other night and conditions havn't improved much. Its 49f (9C) outside and it feels like summer, how quickly the weather can change never ceases to amaze me.



So, Tom and I will be Alberta bound probably tomorrow morning, the route will be the same as I described in the last post.
Will keep you up to date as the trip progresses.

10 comments:

didster7 said...

Hi Phil & Tom.
i am struggling to sell my house and thinking of selling at a loss, basicly would £2,000 to £3,000 be enough to see me right untill a start getting a wage? ( i will be living in truck) H&R said they understand and i could come out at a later date, but i am provisionally booked for 7th march,i just want to get out there now i have had enough of uk.

cheers dave.

Montedarlo said...

Hi Dave, before I say anything please read the post on Sunday Nov 30th.
If H&R are putting the cash up front for your test and you dont plan on living like a party animal then in my opinion 2-3 grand is ample.
Remember that your first wage will be received approx 6 weeks after you land in Canada and even then there is no guarantee that they will be in the region of $1000.
Knowing what I know now I would go for it but the more you can bring out with you the better.
Its your call fella !!
Cheers,Phil

Anonymous said...

Nice pics Phil, I hope Tom is enjoying the different weather, but what a great place to spend Christmas eh?
Nice new pic at the top of the blog as well.
You love the paint proggy don't you Lol.

didster7 said...

thanks for that phill,
i know its only your opinion but after reading your blogs i believe you to be honest and truthfull.
just got to decide whether to drop price of my house even more now.
just want to get out there now, redundancy`s in haulage are getting to common round by me now.

thanks again dave.

Montedarlo said...

Hi Mick, yeah I enjoy playing with photoshop, took ages to get the perspective for the writing on the trailer but it came out well.
Caught up with your blog the other day, pleased the mentor trip went well.
Thanks for the Xmas wishes, New Year wont be as gloomy as the 25th as I will get the shopping in early.
Pass on my best wishes to Cath and have a great 2009.

Montedarlo said...

Hi dave, I imagine its a hard decision for you to make and only you can do it. I am sure you will make the right choice in the end.
Chin up and have a happy New Year

Anonymous said...

Phil,

Great picture of your logo on the truck. Better get it copy written, do not want H&R nicking it do you.

Montedarlo said...

Hi Anon, thanks for the comment on the picture. I am more concerned about H&R asking me to remove it. The boss was cool though when I painted the trucks green for the enviromental posts I did so fingers crossed they see the montedarlo trailer in the same light.
Cheers, happy 2009 and thanks for reading !

Cheers,Phil

didster7 said...

all the best for 2009.

dave.

Steve--the Rooster said...

Hey fella

have a great new year next time your in the Peg drop me a call, I'll e mail u with my cell

take care
steve