Sunday, December 21, 2008

Multi drops in Ontario are beckoning.

Whoops !The windscreen, ice on the inside forms when the night heater screws up.

Hi all, well the sitting in High River was interrupted by having to bring an empty trailer from Calgary which took 7hrs and therefore wiped any layover payment to which I was due.
Eventually I was good to go from High River and set off south heading for Waterloo Iowa. the first night Tom and I stopped at Beach North Dakota then Clearwater Minnesota. Up to that point the weather hadnt been too bad but that changed on Saturday morning as we ran to our destination, snow, wind and ice hampered us but we made it to Waterloo, dropped the trailer, picked up an empty and was promptly planned to load from Schuyler Nebraska. The trip from Waterloo to Schuyler was pretty hairy and a few times I think Toms knuckles turned white as strong winds and blowing snow buffeted and blinded us as we trundled down the Interstate.
This morning..Sunday, we ran into Schuyler and picked up a preloaded trailer which has 3 deliveries for Ontario Canada all of them for around the Toronto area and due for the morning of the 23rd.
Stopped today to show Tom the "Biggest Truckstop in the World", the 'Iowa 80'. This place has parking for 800 trucks, a cinema, Dentist, chrome shop, Chiropractor and god knows what else. Its huge.
Christmas is looking as if its going to be spent in Northern Ontario (the backside of the world) unless despatch send me back south to somewhere like Florida which is highly unlikely but I can always dream.

9 comments:

Dave Caldwell said...

Phil, I am sure that you and Tom will have a memorable Christmas wherever you end up. All the best to you and Tom.

Dave

Anonymous said...

Hi Phil
Just wanted to wish you and Tom a Merry Christmas and all the best for 2009.
Take care mate,
Jools and family.

Trkrjim said...

I saw that CRST early Saturday morning omn my way home. I got out of the house Sunday morning heading east and my truck froze up and wasted half the day, lovely weather.

John Witherspoon said...

Hey Phil,
Always good to see your posts. We do track you just in case we might get close enough to meet again. It's been awhile.
Glad you're having fun and your son is back with you. I wish he could meet my sons and tell them how much a son means to a dad.

All the best and have a great "Season" out there. I'll be thinking of you.

John

Montedarlo said...

Hi Dave, I plan on making it as special as I can and I am sure it will be a memorable one.
Best wishes go to all the Caldwells and I hope you have a great New Year.
Cheers,Phil

Montedarlo said...

Hi Jools, may I return the best wishes. I hope you have a great Xmas and an even better New Year.
Cheers,Phil

Montedarlo said...

Hi Jim, did you happen to find out what caused the serious accident which I think happened about exit 80, I-80.
I passed it Friday night and it looked like a bigrig had hit another up the back end at full speed. When we passed the truck truck was ablaze and was still smoldering the next morning.
Speak soon, Phil

Montedarlo said...

Hi John/Sandy.
Likewise I check your blog and leave the occasional comment.
Its been a while since we met up so hopefully that might change.
Loading at Mississauga at the minute then off to Edmonton. Will need to get to Calgary/Lethbridge after that as I need a safety inspect on the truck. Plan on being at Calgary on the 27th then will probably need a few days in a hotel while they sort the truck so might see you then.
Take it easy, enjoy the holiday and good luck for the new year.

Cheers mate, Phil

Trkrjim said...

there are so many crashes on I80 they hardly make the news. I was surprised that I only counted 8 wrecks (trucks) Saturday morning on my way back from Nebraska. We got hit hard Thursday night and into Friday with Snow/sleet/ and freezing rain. Last year it would be nothing unusual to see 10 or more wrecks in a 75 mile stretch after some icing. I can't get over how unskilled the drivers are nowadays. It used to be that you had to go south to I70 to see that kund of stupidity on display. Too bad about the border delay; I never liked crossing the border. The last run I had where I was doing it reguarily I was taking auto parts (no broker involved) intransit through Ontario from New Hampshire to Michigan. It was pretty simple but always a hassle.