Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Guest book questions.

Hi everyone.
I received the following as a post in my guest book and Nigel brings up some interesting points.

Great Blogs for non truckers who are intrested in our profession but do you not think so of you blogs could put others of from coming to Canada?
Hi, I set up this blog for the purpose of keeping friends and family up to date with where I am and what I am doing. As time went on a lot of people interested in coming to Canada started to read it and ask me questions which I always try to answer honestly. I have had my ups and downs with H&R but never thought it was going to be a bed of roses and I am sure I am no different from anyone else. Hand on heart, I hope this blog has helped people in making their decision as to wether Canada is for them or not.

Ive been here 2 years now and im with Bison and i have only once had to wait overnight for reload details normally i get reload before tipping outbound load.
Ive heard reports on H+R that you are either working flat out or doing nothing it also seems that they did not give you much instruction on the HOS+weights etc i had to spend 3 days in a classroom learning it with bison.

Whilst I have been here the work has been pretty consistent and my pay cheque backs this up. Of course there will be quiet times, I may have to run Canada for longer than I would like and I might moan, but hey, thats life.
I totally agree with the point you make on reloads. the problem seems to only be in Canada. Lately I have had to refuse a lot of loads as I did not have enough time to make delivery. I know that the system of despatching has changed again recently and maybe this is causing the excessive waiting around times and having to run to the limits to meet delivery times or possibly its in the planning.
I cannot agree with you about not receiving adequate instruction on Hours of Service and weight limits ect... as well as learning about them whist in driving school I also attended a 3 day classroom course which covered a whole host of topics including the above. Also at the end of every month Bruce Peel (The Oracle) opens his classroom doors and any driver who is unsure or has any questions is welcome to attend and have there query answered, plus he is also available to call if you cannot make the meeting time

Please dont take this a a critisising i think you site is great.
Safe Driving
Nigel

Thanks for the kind words Nigel. You brought up some good points which gave me something to write about as nothing much has happened this last week.
Best wishes and good luck.

6 comments:

Kev & Lisa said...

Just poping by to say HELLO, we don't have your mobile number? keep forgetting to ask so we can text what ever. Any way hope your safe and well, not working to har ;-P Lisa and Kev

Montedarlo said...

Howdy, was checking out your blog earlier today. Some cracking pic's on there. Have emailed you my phone number, take care. Cheers,Phil

didster7 said...

hi phill thanks for the reply,keep writing about the bad points as it lets us know its a real job and not a fairy tale job.it also lets us know what to expect when we get over there. cheers dave

Montedarlo said...

Hi Didster, I aim to carry on as usual and will write about all that happens. Cheers,Phil

Tony T said...

Hi Phil,
Just had a quick Butchers at the Blogg,
Those photos are cracking mate...

Tony Taylor

Montedarlo said...

Cheers Tony, had a look at your blog also and something seems to of gone wrong, unless the page didnt load correctly.