Wednesday, June 1, 2011

No takers on my bet, I am not suprised.

Not one person contacted me to claim there $100, what a bunch of honest law abiding drivers you are.

So, on with the diary.
Picked up the trailer and sent in the relevant messages including one that stated I would be in Calgary at 12pm. First message came through and.."can u be in Calgary for 8.30am". Of course the reply was no. That message was the first of roughly 35 I was to receive until the trailer was in calgary. Now remember, I was quite happy to deliver this load to BC and had ample time to do it, but somebody else had better ideas and I had to switch trailers believe it or not with a team. I was parked at 8pm, they rolled up at about 11pm, I went to bed.
Facts and figures for that day are : Total shift....11.45hrs, total drive...10.5hrs, total miles...590.
Yesterday morning I set off with my new trailer, destination Calgary with the instructions to drop in the yard. Once again it was too good to be true. Beep...."are you aware you have to deliver this afternoon at Walmart", my reply.. "err, no, told to drop in yard", "please deliver to Calgary Walmart". So I set off, ran the 15 miles or so out of my way, battled the traffic and sat behind two trucks booking into Walmart. Beep...."please deliver Calgary Yard", "Ok, once I deliver this walmart", "Dont deliver it, please go to Calgary yard". So I pulled out of the queue, drove the 15 miles or so back through traffic and dropped in Calgary Yard. Load finished and I was thrilled to have rid of it.
So then I was preplanned for a load to Iowa and had to go through the usual rigmarole of finding an empty trailer, fuelling it, having it washed out, pretripping it then dragging it the 2hrs to the meat plant where now you spend more time on the weighbridge and doing the securities job for them than anything else.
Thankfully everything was in order and I set off south.
Started at 7.30am yesterday, finished at 9pm, did 8hrs driving and covered 450 miles.
I have finally caught up, today I have just finished and got parked up. Had a bit of hassle at the border as the load had not cleared and that cost me an hour but other than that its easy sailing. No messages on the satellite, no grief, no worries.
Had a steady day, did the trip to Walmart for shopping and rang home.
Today I started at 7.15am, finished at 8.30pm, took 2hrs off, drove for 8.45hrs and covered 470 miles.
Because of today and my taking it easy I need to push a little tomorrow and will be looking at 600 miles. In order to do that I need to be awake and as its bed time for me I will bid you all a good night.

While I remember, if you do want to leave a comment, at the bottom of every post is a "comment" link so click that and you are ready to go. All comments are vetted by myself before publishing so please if you want others to read it, tone down the language, dont mention any names and try to make it legible.

One hell of a storm ahead.storm ahead

Whooops !!!oops

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good post I enjoy reading them

Ian Sayer said...

"and try to make it legible"? Are you suggesting, young Mongomery Darlington, that some of our fellow truck drivers may be anything less than totally erudite? Surely not?

Anyway, great to have you back. Are you back for good? PR, and all that?

Remember, Plenty of photos.

Take care

Ian

ps, I'll be down your way next week for a meal at The Bridge, Stapelton. Do you know it?

Mick Flynn Images said...

Lucky it's clear and dry, grounding the bus with the trailer on the highway!
Drive safe mate.

Tom said...

Just Pulled an h&r trailer for a week. Told them where I wanted to go , what days I would work and that I would be dropping off the trailer in the yard at lethbridge when I got back...if it had been like that when I worked direct I'd still be there now. Going again sunday, no cows at the moment...

Montedarlo said...

Hi Guys, thanks Anon for taking the time to comment. I appreciate it.
You, Mr Sayer, where the hell did that word come from ? If that was a question in a pub quiz I would of said it was either a type of bug or a rock lol. No, no PR for me at the present as I will be heading back to the UK at the end of August for a short while and possibly not back out until next year..if at all.
Hi Mick, hows you ? He was lucky it was a quiet day. He attempted to do the turn just north of Helena MT, a few miles past the walmart exit.
Hi Tom, I bet you felt like walking on air laying the law down to H&R. Pleased to read and hear that things are going well.
Thanks again for the comments guys