Saturday, June 4, 2011

A bit of good luck. The Diary

Well I heard nothing for the rest of the day. My plea's to set off running towards the load fell on deaf ears and I was dispatched this morning. So 340 miles later (actually 325 but a 15 mile detour for a trailer washout and back) I arrived at the shipper and was greeted with "Its loaded but we are waiting for the bills (paperwork). Oh well, "they should be 20 minutes"....I nearly jumped for joy. Not only was the trailer ready but the deliveries which I was concerned about, time wise, had been taken off the order so now I can have a leisurely 1000 mile drive to Brampton Ontario.

Its not really a happy ending to this diary, financially the diary is over. Due to the pay structure the empty miles and the return trip to Brampton will not be added to this pay cheque as the trip will not be complete by tomorrow night (Sunday) so it will be a pretty poor wage I will get in a fortnights time. On the upside I will have about 1350 miles to carry over for the start of next week which if I have a decent couple of runs will result in not only a large wage but a huge tax deduction. Bummer !!

As a rough guide I have done the following this pay week including empty miles:
Winnipeg to calgary...825
Calgary to Waterloo...1530

So thats a total of 2355 miles which will gross me roughly $942
Less deductions and so on I will be expecting roughly $550. Not brilliant eh ?

It could be worse, recently a new system of getting the signed paperwork into H&R has been implemented. Basically it a fancy fax but the beauty is that you will be paid for the work you have done for that pay week. If it had not been introduced then my wage for this week would of been horrible as it would be unlikely that I could have got my signed documents to Lethbridge for the Wednesday cut off and then all I would of been paid for this week is Winnipeg to Calgary.

I have just had a thought, had I been dispatched on Friday and ran a few hours, I could of possibly made it to Brampton and dropped the trailer by Sunday night. That way I would of got paid for the whole lot, roughly 3700 miles which would of made a really decent wage, what a difference a few hours makes eh ?

What has happened here with the wages is the exact reason that when I am contacted by prospective drivers and find out they are bringing families over I stress for them to bring as much money over as they can. OK, the big wage will be there the following week but what if you need it now ?

No comments: