Sunday, May 31, 2009

Well, yesterday was absolutely.....

......fantastic and brilliant !!!!

I honestly believe that there was very little that could of spoilt my day.

Waited around all day friday for nothing and ended up buying a meal which cost more than I had earned for 12hrs work. Then...
Was told to pick up a trailer and run empty south, destination California. With the sun beating down, my new camera (yes I know, the old one is up for sale soon)and no specified time limits to adhere to I set off. I will let the pictures tell of the trip down and you should be able to see why I was feeling on top of the world !!

Getting ready to leave the yard at Kelowna at about 7.30am The sun was already beating down and promising a hot day ahead.

A short while later I was running alongside the lake at Penticton which looked more like a scene from the Algarve in Portugal. This lake goes on for miles and even though there is construction going on where they close the road for 30mins at a time you have great views

Just 30mins later the rocks close in on the road and a series of twisty bends try to catch you out and drop you off into the water.

Heading down now to Osoyoos British Columbia and the border with the USA is only minutes away. The whole area is covered with orchards and vineyards and is a very beautiful sight

Now in Washington after getting through customs with just a quick cab search. Its 2.30pm and the sun is still belting down. The plan is to follow the 97 south all the way to the I-5 at Weed California.

I left the 97 at Omak Washington and the couple of minutes extra detour took me down by the Coulee Dam and the Dry Falls which were mentioned on a previous post. I had to take some more pics as the coulour of the water was amazing.Once again the road follows the lake and at times only a flimsey barrier stops you from dropping off into the water.


So by 3.45pm I was at the Dry Falls, last time I came here I was the only visitor but the warm weather as well as shrinking the ladies clothes brought out some sightseers. If you supersize the image you can see that in the left hand side of the water are 3 boats which give you some idea as to the size of the falls.

In the picture below I noticed some large birds of prey circling over head just cruising on the warm thermals. At one time there was 4 of them but it wasnt possible to get them all in the same shot. If you supersize the pic (click on it) you can see that they have bald red heads with grey on the underside of the wing which after a bit of googling leads me to believe they are Turkey Vultures; which can have a wingspan of up to 5-6 feet.


Taken from a view point of the Columbia River at just after 5pm. Just a few quick facts for those that havn't read all of my posts...The river is over 1200m miles long and drains over 250,000 acres of land.It originates in British Columbia and flows through 7 American states. The river is the most heavily dammed river in the world with over 450 dams along its length which are mainly used for hydro-electricity.

My last picture of the day taken at 8.30pm. On the far side of the river is Wasington State; not DC and I am pottering along in Oregon. It wasnt long after this was taken that I called it a day, but guess what ? Today, Sunday was every bit, if not better than yesterday. So....tune in soon and tell all your friends !!!

6 comments:

mickfly said...

P.S. Did you ever see (and get a picture) of the tree which has hundreds of shoes hanging from it on the 97 south just before Wasco?

Montedarlo said...

Hi Mick, must of missed that one. Will keep my eye out for it and have circled it on my map as a reminder. Are you planning on coming back for the winter ?

Best wishes,Phil

andy said...

nice pics phil.the weather looks great

Montedarlo said...

Cheers Andy, hows things ? Hope you got your head around the predicament that you were in.

Cheers,Phil

andy said...

think im getting there phil.thanks.just wish it would come sooner,it would save all the hassle

Montedarlo said...

Hi Andy, read your blog and caught up with what was happening, should of done it before I commented really.
September will soon come, try not to leave your packing until the last minute.
Cheers,Phil