Tuesday, May 19, 2009

A long overdue post.

Hi guys, sorry for the length of time since my last post; I have nobody to blame but myself.
I think I left you last on my way to to Montreal after reloading out of Texas.
The weather has been great on the return leg of the trip. As well as taking in Colorado,Wyoming and Texas a few other lesser visited States were visited such as Missouri and Oklahoma which made for a very welcomed change of scenery.
Piglet is doing well, she is exceptionally quiet compared to her predecessor and my only complaint is that she is giving a very good return on her fuel consumption which in turn means I get less free showers and points on my loyalty cards. Most of the gripes I have with the truck are purely cosmetic such as why design overhead lockers then proceed to manufacture them and fit them to trucks when they cannot hold anything bigger than a few pens ? Same goes for the wardrobe, Freightliner must employ midgets as after buying a load of hangers I found that all of my clothes when hanging crumpled up on the bottom shelf...the designers must have inside leg measurements of around 24 inches. How about this for a waste of money...fit 2 switches on the steering wheel to change the info on the dashboard display when a button is fitted less than a foot away from it that has the same purpose, surely the steering controls would of been better utilized for adjusting the radio volume !! I still havn't worked out how to switch the interior lights off when you are in bed as the switches dont seem to be 2-way which means that if you turn the lights on via the dashboard you need to get out of bed to switch them off when there is a switch in the sleeper compartment. Like I say its all cosmetic but a bit of thought would of made the Cascadia a better truck.

To bring you all up to date, I unloaded in Anjou (montreal) Quebec in the early hours of this morning which was Tuesday and ran to the Yard in St Laurent where the trailer was dropped off. Pretty quickly I was preplanned for Winnipeg Manitoba and informed that the city guys would be picking up the 4 collections (heaven) but the last delivery didnt load until 12.30 wednesday. I didnt really mind but was then given the option to pick up the last collection myself as it was just down the road; I agreed and waited for confirmation. Its at this point I have to praise the City drivers and Deb (my despatcher) for passing on the message, apparently the collection is in a very "ugly" part of the city and a highway truck (piglet) would have major problems getting in and out and the city driver recommended I didnt do it; so thanks to him especially as he saved me a going through a big ordeal.

So thats all for now folks, hopefully I will be heading west tomorrow.

10 comments:

andy said...

nice post phil.
they are only teething problems arent they.i think everthing new has to have something wrong with it!how boring would it be if everything was perfect

Ian Sayer said...

Hello Phil
that steering wheel is the same as the one fitted to the mercs over here, where it does operate the stereo - maybe it only works when connected to a mercedes stereo!

Road Rat said...

Phil do you want these 2 padlock keys on the truck key ring ? There's also a photo in the truck ? keith@road-rat.co.uk

Montedarlo said...

Hi Andy, nothing really wrong with the truck but you might of thought that asking drivers what they would like to see would be number one priority. Hope work picks up for you soon.
Cheers,Phil

Montedarlo said...

Hi Ian, yeah its a merc steering wheel and maybe you are right about the merc only stereo. I do like the alarm function on the stereo, the noise is so loud and annoying its guaranteed to wake me.

Cheers, matey

Montedarlo said...

Hi Kieth (Road Rat)
The keys are from a padlock that went the journey a long time ago. Have sent you an email to the address you provided.

Cheers

Tony T said...

Yes u should be ashamed of ur self PH for not posting... Tee-Hee..

LOL

TT

Montedarlo said...

Hi Tony, I know...I should be ashamed. haha
Been pretty busy is the excuse and working quite long days, its never east running through Northern Ontario.
Hope all is well,
Cheers,Phil

FINCH said...

Yeah i agree with you on the roof light. I don't know why, but when we first got the Cascadias my truck had a ricker switch which would over-ride the dash switch from the bunk. This new one i got does not.

Tony T said...

Nice one mate. Only having a laugh.
Hope to catch u on Skype again sometime for a natter. hope ur vist to the Uk/Amsterdam was good.

All the best,

TT