Wednesday, May 11, 2011

The Californian Dream



Piglet 4th is The California Dream.
California has some of the most stringent green policies regarding trucks in N.America and piglet isn’t fazed by them one little bit. Pulling the latest of H&R’s trailers she is super eco-friendly.
If we start at the back and work forward we have super wide single tyres, somehow they reduce rolling resistance which results in better mpg and tyre wear. If anyone is interested in the size they are 455x55/22.5
Next up are the long and low side skirts. When travelling at speed these flap frantically in the wind and in very much the same way a hovercraft works they provide a down draft which helps to raise the trailer and alleviate the weight which once again results in better mpg. ;-) The eagle eyed amongst you may also have spotted that the truck side skirts are longer than on previous Piglets. This hinders access to the tyre chains which are hung behind them but looks better.
Neither in the pictures nor on the truck is the Tripak. This was used to monitor and charge the truck batteries as well as to supply power to the inverter so mains powered appliances could be used. Very handy but noisy, this has been replaced by an additional bank of batteries which I don’t think will be a success but I will no doubt be proven wrong.
The reefer unit or fridge motor. Now it’s whisper quite and I think that’s about it. Probably had some sound deadening materials fitted….very nice though when you are sleeping.
Now onto the engine bit. Piglet 4th has a Detroit DD15 engine and that’s about the only facts I know.
DEF fluid is a liquid which is expensive, stinks and goes into a tank with the blue cap next to the battery box. I understand that it is injected into the hot exhaust system and does wonderful things to the gases. I really don’t know.
DPF. A filter which filters out particles in the diesel (hence diesel particulate filter). The cool thing about this is that every once in a while it needs “Regenerating” which sounds like something like from Star Trek.
Anti-idle. Or anti tick-over, after a few minutes the engine will shut down to save fuel and cut down on emissions.
Some have said that piglet 4th is so eco-friendly that you could fill the fuel tanks with horse piss and spring water will jet from the exhaust stack like the Bellagio fountains, watering the crops while she cuts through the air and drives on by.



10 comments:

Anonymous said...

first of all love the blog, and i was just wondering about the new set up with the extra batteries, will you still be able to run all your day to day gear on them even thru the night when engine is shut of or are you limited to how much power you can use now?

Montedarlo said...

Hi Anon, thanks for the comments. The batteries are limited in power and I still dont understand how the night heater works as it depends what position your key is in whilst in the ignition. I read that the batteries will only supply full power for the heating/cooling for 4hrs on the max setting.
The inverter (12/120v) is smaller than the other trucks at 1000w. This rules out kettles and microwaves. It runs my coffee pot and small George Foreman grill but not at the same time.
I dont know how they will handle the winter, maybe the trucks will have to be allowed to idle.
Cheers,Phil

Anonymous said...

Hi Phil, will you be able to install a second inverter to run the kettle/microwave? I ask because i am joining H&R in june and i am trying to gather as much helpful info as i can and this blog has been very informative on all the ups and downs of north american trucking, keep up the good work. Cheers Michael.

Anonymous said...

Hey Phil, I see you deleted my comments,if i have said anything to annoy you please accept my apology you can email me on mcgarrym1@gmail.com if you wish again i only say how much i enjoy your blog. Cheers Michael.

Montedarlo said...

Hi mate, I didnt delete anything. Blogger went a bit wrong the other day and deleted all posts made on the 11th. Was it you who asked about the battery pack ? The only comments that I dont publish are the ones that are obscene and offensive.
Accept my apologise, I hope you continue to enjoy the blog.
Thanks, Phil

Anonymous said...

Hi Phil, Yes it was me the other day, I will be joining you on the open roads at the end of this month. All the info in your blog has been very helpful. Hope maybe someday to see you out there. Cheers, Michael.

Montedarlo said...

Hi Michael. This might be of interest .
http://www.atcfreightliner.com/ourCompany/newsletterUpload/wd_07_10.pdf
you need page 10. It tells you about the heating system. I dont know if you read my reply to you but if I was given a choice I would have the tripak any day over the battery pack. Are you coming over to H&R ?
Anyway I can help just give send me an email, montedarlo@hotmail.co.uk

Garvs11 said...

OOHHH Batteries in the winter that doesn't sound good, ive seen what it did to our trucks last winter as you well know it doesnt take long in those freezing temps to kill them, it will be interesting to see how you get on,The ad blue as we use to call it in the uk has been out a few years in england so nothing new there.We also have the whispers thermo king to be honest i find them the same as the others but they look nice.I have seen a few traliers with super singles on as you can expect over here there are a few gumblings about them you know they dont like change lol.Good to have you back shame i haven't bumped into you All the best Dom

Montedarlo said...

Hi Dom, my thoughts exactly regarding the batteries...going to be trouble I think.
Would be nice to meet up and have a brew.
take care, Phil

Montedarlo said...

Hi Michael, I would have no idea about running a second inverter, maybe swapping the one fitted already but the shop would have to do that. You can get 12v microwaves but they are expensive and maybe a portable kettle, the type you take on holiday might run. Dont panic about it yet, get rolling and see which truck you are allocated.
You have my email address, I sent you one the other day. Anything I can do just get in touch