Friday, April 29, 2011

Since Washington I have been ..........

Its been 6 weeks since I got back and my first impressions of how much more “planned and organised” things seemed have been beaten back by the proverbial shitty stick. Although I am getting decent miles, decent runs and a decent amount of time off its things like being given impossible pre-plans, good pre-plans which work out for you being taken away and doing trailer switches where the other driver is only 100 miles away but takes 6hrs to get to you. I can moan and grumble but that's the way it is and maybe I was being over optimistic thinking it would be any different.
I have been running across Canada lately.
Kennewick (Washington) to Delta (BC)
Delta (BC) to Saskatoon (Saskatchewan)
Saskatoon (SK) to Brampton (Ontario)

and at the moment I am waiting for a trailer to be loaded :

Brampton (ON) to Annacis Island (BC)

All very good miles but the roads are disgraceful. I am sick of seeing the signs for bumpy road and cracked pavement. Why don't they just put a sign that says “Third world country roads for the next 1000 miles”. Once again I understand why they are like that...massive country and no people to pay for it but then again that means less traffic so something is going wrong somewhere, maybe in the construction of them because the severe winters that destroy them are not a new thing.

As I write this I have just found out that the Annacis Island load is getting dropped at Calgary which is a good thing. Speaking of “as I write this” I am parked at the miserable Husky at Mississauga which once again has no internet. My mini campaign to boycott them (after the Beef dip sandwich sham) and not spend any money unless I have to is going well and although I don't count the pennies I must of spent around $30 in them which is mainly buying milk and the odd coffee.
BBQ season is almost upon us and the George Foreman grill is getting a hammering by everything I can throw at it, marinaded meats, sliced potatoes, onions and peppers are the food of choice at the minute. I reckon I can make a restaurant standard meal for less than $4. The other day I even made scrambled eggs with cheese and onions in the slow cooker, granted it took some time (about an hour) and when I forgot to stir it for a while it rose like a massive soufflé but it tasted great and I would make it again. Top tip : Scrambled egg makes a bit of a chore of cleaning the cooker so throw a bit of water in, put the lid on and let it steam itself for a while which makes cleaning it easier.

Time to go for now, this will be posted when I can next get an internet connection.
Coming up soon...Telus Mobility, are they conning b*st*rds ?

3 comments:

Mick Flynn Images said...

You can buy 'liners' for the slow cooker if you decide to make a big stew, which saves cleaning.
Hope you get out of the Canada running soon mate an get decent roads and decent stopovers in the USA.
Drive safe.

Garvs11 said...

Hi phil,if your around that area there is the Petro on Dixie Road on the crossing of Drew Road which has free internet,the flying j is about 5 min drive down the road but thats a dump
Hope all is well
Dom

Montedarlo said...

Hi Mick and Dom Thanks for the info. I have seen the liners for the slow cooker but never even thought of using them.
Parked at the Flying J you are on about before and it is a dump. Didnt know about the Petro though...nice tip !