Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Saturday Market, Downtown Portland

After the experience of seeing the spuds being unloaded I was asked to run 4hrs west empty to just the other side of Portland Oregon. Went to the shipper, saw it was unsuitable to park there as my load wasn't until Monday morning so parked North of Portland at a truckstop called Jubitz. Its a good stop and has a hotel next door with loads of amenities.
Woke Sunday morning to find my simple one collection load had turned into a multi pick and still didn't start until Monday so I had a day off (again....now up to 3 resets in the last week)
After asking in the hotel lobby I find out how to get into Downtown Portland and was even offered a lift from the hotel using its cab service. I jumped on the Maxx which is a train shuttle service, changed trains at the Portland basketball Stadium and within 10 minutes was in Portland at the Saturday Market. This is an area of town not far from Chinatown and has a market and entertainment from what I can gather is held when the weather is good. The place was very busy, lots of food stands, music and street acts.
Wandered around all day and had a good time.
Now the fun and games started once I was on the way back to Jubitz. I jumped on the right train..red line first, change onto the yellow at the stadium and get off at the Expo Centre. I arrived and there was nothing..no cabs or people and a hell of a walk ahead of me. I spoke to the driver of the train who helped me out. I needed to take the train back for 3 stops, get the number 6 bus which would take me to Martin Luther King St where I needed to get the 8 bus which would drop me at the Truckstop, easy !!
The return journey went without a hitch. I forget to mention that at the Maxx station I bought an all day pass for $4.75 which gave me access to unlimited Maxx trains, buses and street cars
and lasted until midnight that day.
So, I enjoyed my day out , its Monday morning and I am still waiting for confirmation of my next load.......when ever that may be !! Pics to follow when I get a faster internet connection.

1 comment:

Tom said...

sounds like you had fun...3 resets in the week not too clever..