Saturday, April 16, 2011

Diversions, floods and undelivered loads.





Volvo trying to disguise itself as a tree, taken in Calgary after the dump of snow which fell through the night.


Just when things seemed to be going so well it all came crumbling down, in fact it still is.
Dropped in Saskatoon and had to reset as the load I had been planned on wasn't ready, this was Saturday night. Noticed an oil leak from one of the drive axles so reported it was told to ring in Sunday to get details of a repair. Details came and the load I was planned on went to somebody else as the load had to be covered. This I fully accepted and appreciated. So I sat and waited for another load which was ready later that afternoon for and would take me back to Toronto area.
Early this morning “beep” goes the satellite and the lady who reads out the messages said “switch trailers at Headingley, what time can you be there?” I was 4 hrs away so clipped on expecting the other truck to be here but ….suprise suprise, he was 200 miles away when I arrived. At the time of writing this that was 5.5 hrs ago now even with my basic maths skills if he arrives now he has averaged about 35mph, or he wasn't 200 miles away at all.
All this throws up another dilemma and that is how to get the load I am taking to Vancouver on time which in itself will be a miracle or possibly another switch ?
Its anyone's guess what will happen, only time will tell.
Anyway, fate took hold of the situation and closed the Highway due to flooding. Took the diversion which was huge although I didnt know it at the time. When I thought I had cracked it a bridge was closed in front of me which sent me off on a diversion again. I ran out of hours so parked and roughly calculated that I had pretty much blew 120 miles in the last 2.5hrs. I thought that I had messed up, maybe missed a detour sign but I had gone the right way....unbelievable.
Dropped the trailer in Calgary as I could no longer make the delivery time and reset my hours while waiting for a trailer to Washington which is where I am now

1 comment:

Steve--the Rooster said...

Hey U Good to see u back again...
been a bit behind lately. Whats ur truck number now?
Keep a look out for 87777
cascadia with the us and canada flags on the side.
stay safe man.
steve