Thursday, July 23, 2009

Montreal or bust





Hi all. Well a few things have happened and a lot of miles have been covered since I last posted. If I remember rightly myself and Paul left you in Mississauga where we picked up a trailer, ran empty to Kitchener and picked up a loaded one bound for Saskatoon. That trip ended in Winnipeg as there was an urgent load which needed to be in Montreal so we dropped ours in the yard and hitched up to the new load.
After working out what time we could be in Montreal we sent in the information and set off. Basically we had in excess of 1550 miles to cover in the shortest time possible but our estimated time of arrival wasnt quick enough and we were informed that the load should be at the customer 12hrs before we had planned. There was no way on gods earth that we could knock so much time off so the load was rebooked and we hit Montreal at 9am local time. The delivery went smoothly enough and after working silly hours to get the load here was are still sat waiting for a reload. A preplan has come through but its anybodies guess when that will be ready.
As always, the layover dodge of city work was offered and graciously declined, we both needed some sleep bigtime so the time off was welcomed.
The preplanned load we have should get us to Calgary around Monday 27th and once again its decent miles (2300 give or take)but at the minute we have plenty of time to do it in which is a blessing considering the recent trips we have had.

7 comments:

Ian Sayer said...

Monte, old boy, I've a favour to ask...Could you possibly put some labels on your photos? You obvoiusly have considerable talent as an amateur photographer, and your snaps make North america very inviting, but I only have a rough idea (based on your route) where they are. Where is the dam (is it a dam?) at the top of the page?

Keep your elbows in


Ian

briandoh said...

Hi Phil
sounds like you are getting some good runs/miles at the moment :)
are you still on the mentor trip with Paul or are you full team driving now?
if still on the mentor trip are they all done as team driving?
not bothered but just like to know for when i came out early next year
take care and stay safe

Brian

Mick Flynn Images said...

I love your pictures Phil
Cath

Montedarlo said...

Hi Ian, yes I will make the effort to either explain the pics or at least label them, I used to do it and will start to do so again.
If my memory serves me rightly the Dam is at Wenatchee in Washington State and could be called the Rock Island Dam, thats only a guess though.
Cheers,Phil

Montedarlo said...

Hi Brian, Paul is still with me in the truck as I write this, we have just had to switch trailers and are heading back to Montreal. The Mentor trips are meant to be run as a single driver, not as team. However the company exploits the fact there are 2 drivers and tends to push things a bit. I personally could not be paid enough to run team as I believe it takes a special sort of person and that person isnt me.
It seems a lot of the new lads are being pushed into team work to get them on the road sooner, not a lot of the ones I have spoken to are enjoying it as they are not getting enough miles and are sitting around a lot.
Good luck with your plans for next year, any questions you have just drop me a line on here.
Thanks,Phil

Montedarlo said...

Hi Cath, thanks for the comments about the pics. I have started to force myself into thinking about the composition more rather than just snapping away at everything I see.
if they get me out of Ontario/Quebec then there will be some new ones added.
Hope things are going ok for you both back home, Mick's latest internet ventures are keeping me glued to his blog.
Take care, Phil

mickfly said...

Eyup Phil, yes, a good idea from Ian about locations, and looking forward to more shots.
I usually only worry about composition and getting the horizontals/verticals right.
I usually have to rotate a degree or too with software on a lot of shots to make them straight, I must have a wonky eye.

I won't comment about the team driving thing, or lack of miles for the newbies!
Drive safe, both of you.