Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Calgary Stampede. The greatest show on earth ?






The greatest show on earth...well...errmm....I dont think so. The main reason is I got pretty wound up by the hype and was truly let down when I arrived at the stampede. It wasnt as big as I was led to believe, there was no cowboys riding around and the place was pretty deserted. I particularly wanted to see the Rodeo part of it, riding the bulls and so on but the tickets had sold out, I was offered one by a 'tout'; he wanted $125 for a $75 ticket !!!!.
If you are into cows, bulls and tractors then the show is for you, same as if you want to pay inflated prices for burgers and soda pop. Fancy a pint ? No problem if you are willing to wait in a queue that would shame the ones at Disney just to get into the bar, then after quenching your thirst and having a walk round having to go through it all again.
The highlight for me was watching a 'Pow Wow' put on by the Native Indians, I managed to get some cracking pics and they will be on here in the next few days.

8 comments:

Dave Caldwell said...

Phil, I have never been to the stampede and wanted to go now I am not so sure. I have been to a few local rodeos and they have been great, maybe try one of those if you get the chance.

Tom said...

Pictures are fantastic. Really colourful... I have been looking forward to going to the Stampede; is it really that bad. I think I might be a bit like you, cause I don't like queueing either..

Montedarlo said...

Hi Tom and Dave.
I suppose the Stampede isnt quite as bad as I made out but beware if you fancy a pint as you will wait for ages. Once you take away the actual Rodeo bit for which you might be lucky enough to get tickets all the Stampede is a a big village fair.
My opinion of course.

Thanks for commenting, Phil

mickfly said...

Someone else who attended said on face book it was pretty poor as well Phil.
Nice pics, a bit too colourful for me lol (takes all sorts).
Like the portrait one with the two kids, but I would have made him take the baseball cap off if I had been his Dad!

mickfly said...

Nice pics with the slow shutter to catch the motion Phil.

Drive safe.

Montedarlo said...

Cheers Mick...handheld as well. God knows how they didnt come all blurry.
Hope you are keeping your chin up.
Give my best to Cath.
Cheers,Phil

Anonymous said...

Hi Phil

What sort of camera are you using?, love the picture quality!

Geoff

Montedarlo said...

Hi Geoff. I am pleased you like the pictures. I recently bought a Nikon D5000 with a 18-105mm lens. Since then I have added a 35mm f1.8 and a speedlight flash.
All pictures are taken with the colours set to vivid and the sharpness cranked up. Then they are touched up a little in CS4.

thanks again, Phil