Friday, July 17, 2009

Downtown Calgary and Paul's Mentor Trip





Hi all, got loads to talk about but not sure if I have the time but we will give it a go.
I knew Paul from the UK when we both worked for Autocarriers which mainly involved delivering new cars to dealers nationwide. He is over here now and last Saturday got a lift to Calgary so he could start his mentor trip which was to... of course ... Waterloo Iowa, my favourite haunt (not).
The trailer wasnt due to load until the Sunday morning so we jumped in a cab and did the tourist in Downtown Calgary. Paul was a bit dubious about standing on the glass floored observation deck but managed even though he didnt look to comfortable hahahah.
Sunday morning came and as usual the trailer was late in getting released but we still had a chance at get through meat inspection. Called in at Lethbridge for some paperwork and found out that Paul wasnt on the system so therefore he couldnt cross into the States, not a problem was the reply from despatch we can fix it...no we cant...yes we can...errr no we cant so we will see you in the morning.

Monday morning we left for the border, went to meat inspection and was told we had a full inspect which meant more time lost. A couple of hours later we were on our way. As we had lost so much time we had to drive late into the night and wildlife is a problem on the road we had to take. Paul had a very near miss when a deer darted out and I laughed as I told him I had never come that close. Sods law kicked in when it was my turn to get behind the wheel and its at this point when I have to apologise to Bambi's mother as 5 mins later I hit my first deer, not intentionally I have to say.

Saw a massive lightening storm going on around Minneapolis and dropped the trailer at Waterloo the night before it was due delivery and went to bed.
Woke the following morning to a barrage of messages stating we should of loaded at 0800 that morning and demanding to know why we hadnt. Reason 1....we finished at 0330, reason 2... we are not mind readers, nobody told us anything.

Ended up doing a switch just south of Waterloo and then had to one hit the load to Toronto in time for delivery 11am the following morning, its about an 800 mile trip and the time was already 2pm. Managed to deliver on time and sat for over 6hrs while the labour we had to employ at a cost of $80 took his time to get the melons off the trailer.

Dropped the trailer in Mississauga and was preplanned for a load out of Kitchener Ontario to Saskatoon Saskatchewan. Since the mentor trip had started this was the first time we had were Paul could properly work out the times on the preplan and decide if we could do the trip. We agreed there was no problem and we had plenty of time. It was then after Paul accepted the plan that we received a message stating that the load wouldnt be ready until at least 10hrs after what he had planned for. Now for me thats not a problem but for somebody who is learning the ropes it is as it means going back to the drawing board and recalculating the trip.
So, after refusing city work (offered to us so that the company dont have to pay layovers) we both got a good nights sleep and are at present waiting for the beep on the satellite to let us know the trailer is ready

11 comments:

mickfly said...

Nice Pics Phil, the first one is very good!.
Poor Baambi, you murderer!
Drive safe, both of you.

Tom said...

I can see why there was aprehension in the glass floor thing. Looks a bit of a mind f**k....

Montedarlo said...

Hi Mick, been keeping tabs on your exploits and you seem to be ruffling a few feathers. I love it and its the first thing I look at when I log on, better than Emmerdale LOL

Montedarlo said...

Hi Tom, its not really that high when you are up there. I might have second thoughts about doing it in the CN Tower in Toronto as I think its about 4 times the height

Martin said...

Hello Phil,

So if you were to accept the 'layover pay dodge' would you get city driver rates for that period or still be on mileage pay (without much mileage!!)?

BTW, I wouldn't bee too happy with the glass floor thing either . . . .

englishmike said...

morning monty how are you do you have a 10/4 phone if so whats the number say hi to Paul I met him in the Lethbridge lodge a few weeks back chat soon mike

Montedarlo said...

Hi Martin. If I was to accept the offer of other work you are paid hourly from when you start. So in theory you could sit for 11hrs then for arguements sake check the empty trailers in the yard and receive $13, then the whole process starts again once your next layover payment is due. Its a blatant con and one I done rise to.
Cheers, Phil.

Montedarlo said...

Hi Mike, Paul says Hi and that he remembers you. I dont have a 10-4 phone, just the one I gave you the number for.
Bet you are looking forward to your family coming over.
Cheers fella, Phil

alan_doug@btinternet.com said...

Hi Montedarlo,
Do you still make the minimum under the LMO? $53,000 (approx) Canadaian PA? Or does that go by the board as well?

Montedarlo said...

Hi Alan, sorry for the length of time its taken to reply. As far as I am aware, I dont know of anyone who hasnt gone over the $53,000 wage. Last year, not including resets and 24hr breaks I took approx 6-7 weeks off and come the end of the year had grossed $62,000. My tax refund was $5500 and I also got another cheque for $400. A few of my good friends hit the middle $70,000's.
Cheers, Phil

mickfly said...

We spoke to a lad (in March) who said he had made $74,000 last year, but bugger all so far up to march this year.

I've had contact from a few people who were broke within 6 months though, and didn't want to take the risk of being destitute in Canada, so returned to the UK!